Brave browser opens and immediately shuts down ... sometimes

Description of the issue:

Click on Brave icon and a window flashes open briefly, not even long enough to populate, just plain white, before it immediately slams shut. Click again and, more often than not, the browser will actually open … although sometimes it takes more than two attempts.

How can this issue be reproduced?

Random happenstance and roll of the dice best I can determine. It happens intermittently, which is a nightmare for trying to track a problem down. Today, it’s happening repeatedly, but again, not EVERY time. Yesterday, it wasn’t a problem at all. Last week / month / etc., at times it behaves like like today. Tomorrow? Next week? Who the heck knows!

Expected result:

By this I assume you mean what do I expect when I push the icon to open the browser? Well, that the browser actually opens and doesn’t immediately shut, or that it won’t take two or three tries to get it to stick.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.10.97 Chromium: 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

Operating system is Windows 10

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
VictorZ

Hi @VictorZ,
Do you have sync enabled?

Thanks for your reply.

In response to your query … I don’t believe so … or I should I say, I’m pretty sure not. I did try to sync my phone and desktop when initially started to use Brave oh these many months ago, but gave it up as it didn’t work as expected, or much at all, it was buggy, etc. etc…

So, simple answer … No, but I could be wrong and it IS somehow activated on the desktop without my knowledge.

BTW, this problem IS solely on the Windows Desktop version and I don’t even know where the sync setting is as it doesn’t (obviously) appear on the settings menus as it does in the Android version. Incidentally, when I look at the sync option on the phone version, only that device is listed as the bottom entry with two blank entries above it … I’m not sure what that implies, but I assume that means there’s no sync chain set up. Also, if I try to press “Remove this device” (again, on the phone) nothing happens.

BTW … It sounds like Sync 2.0 may actually work so I’m definitely looking forward to that. :slight_smile:

Regards,
VictorZ

Can try the following steps:

1. Quit Brave
  2. Open Command Prompt
  3. Enter: "C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe" --disable-sync
    If it still crashes, then also try entering:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe" --disable-gpu

I’ve executed the 1st command and I’ll have to let you know how it goes insofar as the problem is not perfectly consistent. It happens frequently, but nonetheless, it happens intermittently.

As far as the 2nd command … I have previously turned off “Use hardware acceleration…” in the program settings and that is the current setting. I assume this accomplishes the same thing? In any case, I did so because I’d seen this suggested as a solution to certain problems with Chrome in the past. Tried it, but it wasn’t helping. I’ll leave it turned off for now and see what the effect of #1 is for the time being.

Many thanks again for your assistance.

VictorZ

Problem is when brave crashes all open tabs are lost and my BAT are reduced
This has happened with me more than 5 times in a month and latest today reducing the No. of ads to 0 along-with reduction in estimated BAT

BAT reduced ads reseted to 0

Well, I’ve tried both commands and it is still closing (crashing?) immediately upon opening sometimes … maddeningly random so it seems. Sometimes it works as expected, oftentimes not.

Not sure what to make of Ridz comment above re. losing BAT as a result, tho I can say that I had been noticing that the count of ad notifications received in the month keeps resetting. It does appear to be related to this, as it is ZERO as of the moment, and I just got in after a crash/close. Of course, it is the beginning of the month, but the 7-day ad history shows several in the last couple of days.

I’ve been concerned about this behavior throughout the past month … I brought it up in an unrelated conversation with someone regarding BAT having been donated out of my account even tho I did not request or authorize it. He (steeven) took care of that problem, so I brought up this odd behavior at that time. I suppose I’ll just have to see what happens in a couple days when the next grant occurs.

Incidentally, the “losing count of ads” appears to be happening in both the desktop and the android versions … the count just randomly (I HATE random problems!) resets to zero.

Oh well … thanks for the help and hope there’s something else to try as a fix.

VictorZ

Had the same issue as others: click to open Brave, the window flashes up briefly then vanishes. All tabs - including pinned tabs are lost. Major pain in the “a”.

I found a way to solve the “Brave crashes on startup”, but it’s kinda violent. Here’s what I already answered on Reddit about that:

On Windows 10, I went to the C:\Users\{{My Username}}\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default , moving everything to a new old_data folder, starting Brave again (it didn’t crash this time) and moving back files Bookmarks and Cookies to their initial place.

Even though I had to reinstall my extensions and language settings, it started working again.

I hope this helps!

Some people suggested changing the shortcut to disable the sync, but it didn’t work for me: Brave Instantly Crashing At Startup on Windows 10

1 Like

THANK YOU!!!

ME: Hehe… you weren’t kidding

SOLUTION:

Again thanks for this recommendation! At this moment, my browser is restored with my BOOKMARKS intact. Didn’t have any stored passwords or personal data since I offload those responsibilities on to other apps. (shout out to KEEPASSXC). Also, I had to re-add all my extension again, as you mentioned. But HEY! I got my browser back!

I’m glad I could help you :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.