Brave browser on iOS for tech dummies—-PLEASE HELP. ME?

Can anyone use regular language to teach me how to download, confirm it is downloaded on my devices, and use the Brave Browser (I have a generic windows laptop and iOS devices {iPhone6+, iPad Air 2})? I believe I downloaded the browser. I believe I may be using it, but do not know how to confirm that. I am not a programmer nor have I done computer languages since Pascal<— and that was back. In my sophomore year in College, 1977! PLEASE ADVISE. I want to support this platform and use the browser, but. Am I to computer illiterate to be able to do so?

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Attempted to download and got a confirmatory App downloaded. And I think used it properly.
  2. Now I am getting PHONE CALLS ON MY IPHONE saying my iPhone. Account has been breached and not to use it. Are they phishing because I’m an idiot or did I really screw something up?

3.I logged into Brave using. 2 step authentification and my fingerprint…I think?
4. Then I came to this website to see if there were more general instructions to help me figure out what TO do or what NOT to do, but so far haven’t found. Anything on this site that isn’t written in so much computer jargon that I really cannot utilize the information.
5. Now I’m wondering if I’m an idiot for even trying to download and use the Brave browser. Does anyone out there know how to communicate with a non-genius who is not used to the jargon used here?? I have a PHD in Psychology—I am not completely illiterate, but I am 61 years old and none of this comes ‘naturally” to me!

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
I thought it would look something like chrome or Firefox or Safari, but I cannot tell whether or not I am actually using the browser. Should I delete the other browsers off the iPad? Please tell. Me there are “Brave browser: instructions for dummies” somewhere! It is no fun feeling stupid and not even knowing how to ask for help without feeling stupid.
Reproduces how often:

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in Settings):

Mobile Device details
IPad 6th generation (I think, its an iPad Air II)

Android/iOS Version

Additional Information:
Now I am going to try to save or submit, or something. I’m hoping someone might answer this who doesn’t feel the need to yell at or otherwise humiliate me…

@Maryruth1035,
Is there a particular issue that we can help you with? :slight_smile:

Ok. 1)
How do I know that I’m actually using the brave browser instead of Safari or google Chrome?
2) is there a way to set my browser default to use brave on the iPhone or on the iPad?
3) I completely missed the whole discussion on BAT…is that something I can become aware of at a later date and sign up for later?
4) How do I ask simple questions like these without resorting to google?

Also, 4) is there some place that all these basic instructions for new users already exist, that I obviously missed?

6). Do you think that the weird phon calls (I have gotten 2 now) are actually from apple and that I somehow opened myself up to thieves on my apple account? I never entered. My apple password anywhere so I cannot see how…

@Maryruth1035,

1. If you see a lion icon image on the top-right of the browser – you’re likely using Brave! To confirm, tap the Menu icon on the top-left, then click Settings (gear icon on the left) and scroll to the bottom – the version number should be 1.9.3 (at the time of writing this).
  2. Apple does not allow this – you can however add Brave to your dock as you would any other app.
  3. BAT (Basic Attention Token) is a cryptocurrency used to support online content creators. I’d recommend doing a bit of research on BAT from our official sources – if you have any further questions let me know and I’d be happy to answer them. I would recommend first watching the short video on the official BAT website: https://basicattentiontoken.org/
  4. The easiest way is to do exactly what you did! Brave Community is here to support users with issues or questions regarding Brave – so great work! We do have a Help Center which covers a lot of the basics – however, we’re still in the process of compiling and publish content there (site is relatively new) so your iOS related questions will not likely be answered there (working on it!).
  5. That’s something you should take up with Apple support – I can only assure you that Brave is not the cause of the strange phone calls :slight_smile:
2 Likes

@Maryruth1035, welcome! I use Brave on my iPhone almost exclusively. If I could make it my default browser, I would, but as @Mattches points out, it’s not something you can do on an iPhone (at least one that’s not jailbroken). It is my default browser on my Mac and my Windows machine.

Just to confirm: on your iOS device(s), did you install Brave from the App Store in iOS? If not, where did you get it? If from the App Store or brave.com, the phone calls are almost certainly a coincidence. If they’re saying “iPhone account,” it’s almost certainly not Apple. Because it’s not really a Brave issue, and because Apple probably will want to charge you if you call them, feel free to PM (private message) me about the phone calls to be sure they’re phishing; I’d be happy to see what I can do. I’m not a security expert, but I’ve received plenty of phishing calls myself and know a lot of the signs of fraudulent calls. To private message on this system, click user name, which should bring up a little information about the user, then click the “Message” button in the upper right of that information pop-up.

Also, what did you tap to get the error you posted (in the screenshot)?

To check your iOS version, got to the Settings app, General, About. Here are some screenshots of my iPhone’s install to illustrate (click image to enlarge if needed):

To check your Brave version, open Brave, tap the “hamburger” menu in the upper left, then the gear icon in the upper left of the pop-down you get from the hamburger, then scroll to the bottom of the settings page that results. Here are more screenshots of my iPhone to illustrate (again, click to enlarge if needed):

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.