Brave Browser is forcing itself to be default browser on Android. Unable to change default browser to Google Chrome

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue:
After installed Brave browser and accepted it to be the default browser, I could not change default browser to Google Chrome.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Accept prompt to set default browser to Brave
  2. When open URL in any 3rd party apps, now link should auto load in Brave browser
  3. Go to system - apps - default apps - browser - select “Chrome”
  4. “Chrome” is selected as default browser. However URL in 3rd party apps will still load in Brave
  5. Go to system - manage all apps - top right corner - reset user preference to default for all apps
  6. Open URL still auto load in Brave

Expected result:
System setting shows the default browser is Chrome after manually changed it, but URL still loading to Brave.

After reset user preference to default for all apps, when opening URL, user should be prompt to select use which browser to open the web page and select only use this app onetime or always use this app.

However URL still auto load in Brave after the reset, and did not prompt user to select browser.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Mobile Device details
HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro - EMUI 9.1.0

Additional Information:

1 Like

first time i heard of this issue … but why use anything other then brave

@rfang84,
Repeat step 5 from what you listed above, except after resetting them, return to Default apps and re-select Chrome again.

@Mattches
Already tried that, not working until uninstalled Brave.

1 Like

@DanishCrypto
Because I was trying to open the confirmation link Uphold emailed me and Brave won’t load the page. Of course that is not the only page that Brave won’t load.
I saw someone already posted the topic about similar issues.

Brave won’t load a lot of pages, and when it comes to confirmation links and you do not get an option to load it in another selected browser, that is a real problem.

1 Like

okay never had that problem

I’m unable to reproduce the issue. I’m able to change the default browser to other browser/s and vice versa.

You can drop or adjust your shields setting for that site via Brave icon at URL bar.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.