Brave Browser Helper (Renderer) - 100% of CPU

Final note.

Dear Brave Developers/Support/Marketing People:
The runaway mediaplayer routines and the failure to block html5 mediaplayers in a reasonable fashion when that capability previously existed has led to my company removing Brave from its list of acceptable browsers. We moved here with Brandon Eich as we were unhappy with the circumstances at his former company, but this constant blaring of autoplay videos, network bandwidth consumption will no longer be tolerated at our company. This will result in a miniscule drop in Brave’s use, but we will go back to Safari as our preferred browser and will look for alternatives on our non-Apple platforms (BSD, Linux, devices, and Win).

Thanks for the briefly useful product. If you change your mind, we’ll be watching and hoping. It did have potential, but this is a show stopper.

Yes – Disabled HW acceleration.
Do not have Gammerly or Lastpass installed.
20+ brave browser helper processes active on ten tabs.
Running: Version 1.18.78 Chromium: 87.0.4280.141 (Official Build) (x86_64)
Is the a bug report open on this issue? If not how do I open one?

@RocketNutty,
Can you open the browser when you see this type of CPU spike and click Menu --> More tools --> Task manager and share which processes are using the most resources?

Hi, I am experiencing this as well. I get at least one of those anormal spikes a day, even sometimes while my mac is in sleep mode and hasn’t been touched for several hours (the other day I was woken up by the noise of the fan of my mac in the middle of the night due to this).

This morning as I experienced this spike I took a screenshot of the Task Manager, here it is:

It seems that it is created by a service worker from Google Drive? I ended that process and the fan shut off. But 5 mins later I got another spike, and I saw again that service worker running:

I hope this is the right thread for this. But I’m having this issue were under almost every app I’m running Brave Browser Helper (Renderer) is running under each app. It’s eating up a lot of RAM. I did as Brave Browser Support @Mattches recommended to create a brand new profile, but even then this issue pops up. And given more time I see this Brave Browser Helper (Renderer) issue becoming more pervasive on this new profile which will eventually eat up more RAM. Screenshots are attached to show what I’m talking about.

Thank you in advance!

Same problem here on a particular web site: tesco.co.uk. This started happening after updating to Version 1.19.92 Chromium: 88.0.4324.152 (Official Build) (x86_64). Running on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. CPU shooting up and fan roaring.

CPU calms down the moment I close the tab. This means I can no longer do my shopping with Brave.

Same wildly high RAM & CPU Usage! Just Brave Browser Helper (Renderer), Brave Browser Helper (GPU), and Brave Browser alone, are using a total of 10 GBs of RAM, and over 200% CPU Usage!! And that’s only for those three tasks, there’s about 30 others, they just aren’t sucking up all my computer’s resources!

I’m always hearing my computer fan running, and can see Brave is always making the CPU run excessively. What’s up!? Doesn’t seem like this issue has been resolved.

Same here ! I have multiple Brave Browser Helper (Renderer) and it is taking a lot of memory…What is going on ?

Same here,
I’m back to Chrome until this gets :angry: sorted !!!

Was having the same issue. I quit the process, and the Lolli extension sent a notif that it had crashed. After uninstalling the Lolli extension, i’ve never had the issue again. Try and see if this works?

I posted about this issue several months ago and migrated to Chrome. I got a notification to say that I had a reply along the lines of it was fixed in a later version but I was too fed up with Brave to bother trying it.

Anyway, I decided to see if things had improved a few days ago and it is as bad as ever. If being conscious of the high CPU is not enough, my the fan noise is a constant reminder - the noise is a real distraction and ruin concentration. If I want to watch a video, I try to make sure that I only have one tab open but it doesn’t make much difference. I don’t have LastPass or Grammarian but installed tried with all extensions disabled but that made no difference whatsoever.

Very disappointing and it seems like the support attempts to troubleshoot individual cases rather than accept that maybe there might be a problem with the application.

Problem persists on latest MacOS and Brave version. Turning off Hardware Acceleration helps right now. But it’s only running for less than 30 minutes right now, and the problem usually takes a while to creep up.

I have the same problem. I really want to fix this so my computer does not die.

Same problem here, Brave Browser Helper (Renderer) keeps spiking up to use 100% of the CPU.
Hardware Acceleration is off, creating another profile does nothing to solve the problem.

Any other suggestions? Maybe some kind of fix since users are reporting this for at least 2 years now?

This issue is making Brave unusable. I don’t understand why it hasn’t been fixed by this time.

This is interesting. My work has forced Lastpass on us and I see now that it is exacerbating the problem. I have turned off the LP App and things have calmed down a bit.

@boedicca,
Extensions are often the cause of high CPU usage like this. You say it’s “calmed down a bit” – how much has it calmed down? Does it appear to be using the appropriate resources after disabling LP?

@Mattches and @chronicpete

In all reported websites I have no issues. For those having these issues, I recommend to drag Brave browser to AppCleaner, deselect Brave Browser app and select the rest. This will solve any issue with Brave Browser Helper.

P.S.: It’s safe and will not have any impact on how the Brave browser application works.

I use win 10 pro 64 and simply disable the firewall and the machine responds well. it does not freeze, it does not crash. besides having hardware acceleration disabled :money_mouth_face: