Brave Browser Helper (Renderer) - 100% of CPU

Final note.

Dear Brave Developers/Support/Marketing People:
The runaway mediaplayer routines and the failure to block html5 mediaplayers in a reasonable fashion when that capability previously existed has led to my company removing Brave from its list of acceptable browsers. We moved here with Brandon Eich as we were unhappy with the circumstances at his former company, but this constant blaring of autoplay videos, network bandwidth consumption will no longer be tolerated at our company. This will result in a miniscule drop in Brave’s use, but we will go back to Safari as our preferred browser and will look for alternatives on our non-Apple platforms (BSD, Linux, devices, and Win).

Thanks for the briefly useful product. If you change your mind, we’ll be watching and hoping. It did have potential, but this is a show stopper.

Yes – Disabled HW acceleration.
Do not have Gammerly or Lastpass installed.
20+ brave browser helper processes active on ten tabs.
Running: Version 1.18.78 Chromium: 87.0.4280.141 (Official Build) (x86_64)
Is the a bug report open on this issue? If not how do I open one?

@RocketNutty,
Can you open the browser when you see this type of CPU spike and click Menu --> More tools --> Task manager and share which processes are using the most resources?

Hi, I am experiencing this as well. I get at least one of those anormal spikes a day, even sometimes while my mac is in sleep mode and hasn’t been touched for several hours (the other day I was woken up by the noise of the fan of my mac in the middle of the night due to this).

This morning as I experienced this spike I took a screenshot of the Task Manager, here it is:

It seems that it is created by a service worker from Google Drive? I ended that process and the fan shut off. But 5 mins later I got another spike, and I saw again that service worker running:

I hope this is the right thread for this. But I’m having this issue were under almost every app I’m running Brave Browser Helper (Renderer) is running under each app. It’s eating up a lot of RAM. I did as Brave Browser Support @Mattches recommended to create a brand new profile, but even then this issue pops up. And given more time I see this Brave Browser Helper (Renderer) issue becoming more pervasive on this new profile which will eventually eat up more RAM. Screenshots are attached to show what I’m talking about.

Thank you in advance!

Same problem here on a particular web site: tesco.co.uk. This started happening after updating to Version 1.19.92 Chromium: 88.0.4324.152 (Official Build) (x86_64). Running on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. CPU shooting up and fan roaring.

CPU calms down the moment I close the tab. This means I can no longer do my shopping with Brave.

Same wildly high RAM & CPU Usage! Just Brave Browser Helper (Renderer), Brave Browser Helper (GPU), and Brave Browser alone, are using a total of 10 GBs of RAM, and over 200% CPU Usage!! And that’s only for those three tasks, there’s about 30 others, they just aren’t sucking up all my computer’s resources!