Brave Android Ad Block doesn't block Ads, brave://adblock page is empty

Adblock doesn’t block the Ads, and also brave://adblock not showing any additional filter list.

I have cloned and created the android arm builds of version no’s Brave 1.23.26 and Brave 1.21.76(Brave Release version). When I tested the build, ads are appearing on the page (Block cross-site trackers is UP, and Upgrade connections to HTTPS is UP), since none of the Ads/trackers not getting blocked, Ads and trackers count is zero. As soon as I enable the scripts, ads are getting blocked, and some of the sites blocked from loading.

When I checked the brave://adblock page, here there were no additional filters to select. I tried the brave android browser from the play store, it’s working perfectly. I followed the steps which are mentioned on the page: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser.

brave adblock empty additional list Yahoo script disabled Yahoo script enabled

I have checked the brave://components page, Brave Local Data Updater - Version 0.0.0.0 Status - Update error
Brave Ad Block Updater - Version 0.0.0.0
Status - Update error

Since I am new and still learning, I am not sure where I am going wrong. Looking forward to your kind support.

Thanks.

1 Like

@shiladkumar.d,
Thanks for reaching out to us.
The issue you’re running into is due to the fact that we set the component endpoints at runtime and we don’t expose code to restrict the download of components to official Brave Builds.
Are you interested in contributing to the source code of the project?

1 Like

Hi Mattches,

Thank you so much for your response.

Congratulations on Brave’s success, it’s growing very fast.

Yes, I would like to contribute, from the past 5+ years, I am working with the Hidden Reflex (Desktop browser), we are mainly into Privacy Browser development - Epic Privacy Brower. Epic was the first chromium-based browser focused on privacy, we first launched a Desktop-based browser in 2013. Last year we launched mobile browsers. In the past, we built an Android Epic browser using the Braves Android Tabs.

You have mentioned that “we don’t expose the endpoints in the code”. We can host any necessary files by ourselves if necessary. Can you please guide me to get Shield features to work(Adblock, HTTPS, Fingerprint) only if it’s not against Brave policies?

Looking forward to your kind response.

Thanks.

@shiladkumar.d,
After consulting with our dev team, usage of brave components (HTTPSE, Adblock, etc) is restricted to official brave builds. It costs us money to run this infrastructure and as such we restrict usage outside of Brave. The data itself is Open Source and you are free to offer it to your users from your server.

@Mattches
Hi Mattches,

Thanks for your response.

I can understand the expenses involved, maintaining infrastructure and all. So we don’t want to use your resources(infrastructure), we just need the help to get those components to run ourselves and how to get that code to work for your AdBlock, Finger printing, HTTPS etc.,. If you can help me with that then that will be great.

Looking forward to your kind response.

Thanks.

@shiladkumar.d all of the source is available - for example, the component update service we have can be found in https://github.com/brave/go-update

For the Adblock/HTTPSE/other packaging scripts, you can check in https://github.com/brave/brave-core-crx-packager. This is what pushes the static files to our S3 buckets and then creates the CRX which gets distributed via go-update

Getting everything setup is definitely a task. You’re welcome to contribute back documentation about the setup as you go through it. Let us know if you have any specific questions (we don’t have a “how to set everything up” document unfortunately)

1 Like

@clifton
Hi Clifton.

Thanks for your email. As per best of my knowledge, CRX files only work on the Desktop Chromium browsers, will the CRX files work on Brave Android browser? If it won’t support then how to get them working? Please help me with this.

Thanks.

@shiladkumar.d yes - CRX works on Android too. You can verify this by seeing what is registered on Android by navigating to brave://components

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.