Brave and Ebay is a hot mess, even after update

Same problem here on Android 10 with the latest 3 brave versions. It’s very annoying as brave encounters the problem only on eBay.

Not only checkout but bidding and sorting search results (for example by price) are laggy or even impossible on Google Pixel2. Switching to desktop view somewhat eases the problem but still hangs.

If I open some eBay items in the background, Android system shows app not responding message.

I click somewhere on product page (for example place bid) and brave reacts to touch on a totally different area ( instead of button action, it enlarges photo like I clicked there).

eBay gives me captcha after login (are you a robot? Or please use supported browsers) everytime only if I use Brave. On several android browsers there is no captcha.

Here is the Ebay glitch at its worst…

https://streamable.com/b8pu4q

Every time you see my cursor twitching over a link or button, I’m clicking furiously.

1 Like

For me, the “Shields Down” workaround seems to solve the glitch.

For now, I will run Ghostery and Adblock while on eBay, and monitor this thread until the problem is solved.

For users having issues.

Does disabling Ads/trackers in Shields help? (if so, copy/paste the trackers into pastebin.com)

Also check that brave://components/ that Brave Ad Block Updater is on Version: 1.0.691 Force an update. (and restart Browser)

I have tried to force update everything in brave://components and also tried to disable the brave shields. All components updated from “update error” or no update to updated status.

I’ve tested now it’s better but eBay still hangs heavily. It still asks me if I’m a robot upon logging in (brave shields disabled, same IP, same device, no VPN so nothing suspicious).

So I can confirm the force update and disabling shields didn’t work on Android 10

Mouse cursor does not work when rolling over pictures.
Menus won’t drop down.
Have to totally turn Brave shields off. Never had to before.
If the page loads as it shows from open tabs bar (circle stops)
why isn’t the page fully loaded? Move mouse cursor over an
item it turns into a finger pointing and will not go away.
Too many times I receive the ‘page not loading’ or responding
message. I either can press Wait or Exit page. Guess what I
and others have to do?! Exit page.

Screenshot? You ask for screenshots! In all my years of
surfing the web the only sites that ask for screenshots are
no longer around.

I have no problems with Google Chrome, FireFox, Microsoft
Edge, Safari, Opera etc.

They have never, ever asked me for a ‘screenshot’!

It is evident that Brave is having problems due to reasons
beyond your control.

Perhaps you need to reach out to the ‘Gatekeepers’ and
ask them what you’re doing wrong. It seems that the upper
echelon of browser tech companies have the passkey and
Brave was not included.

I do want to say that at least you are reaching out on
the forum and it is appreciated but the techs. behind the
scenes at Brave are apparently being shut out by the ‘biggies’!

Same problem. I have done all updates, including the Ad Bock Updater to 1.0.692. I also turned off hardware acceleration.

@fanboynz keep the updates coming please, ebay seems to be the only site affected by this issue.

P.S. I appreciate your attention to this post and hard work trying to resolve this issue. We should all remember that troubleshooting is a time intensive process; if the answer was easy, we wouldn’t be here.

Yes, thanks for the suggestions @fanboynz however sadly they haven’t worked for me.

Ebay still freezes for about 30 secs after loading, fan spins, high CPU, then finally becomes usable. Annoying.

@be_brave @Abrekiz @WebPatriot @Sphe @squashpup @Timbered @pdb @DanielChance @Parzival1 @sellam

I have found the issue, ebay is fingerprinting users with port scans which (on will cause the cpu to increase). If we prevent ebay from portscanning in the first place, cpu usage will be much lower and fix many of these issues.

Update in the next 24-48hrs

2 Likes

Thank you @fanboynz!

I, for one, really appreciate your taking the time to fix this. You’ve had some bad attitudes from some comments on these issues, and though that frustration was misplaced, I think everyone appreciates getting the issue fixed.

My compliments to you.

2 Likes

I’ve always remained professional. Trying to replicate issues requires time and patience, but my attitude was never “bad”.

1 Like

To be clear, I think @Timbered was referring to OTHER comments with bad attitudes. While the Ebay issue has been frustrating to experience, I am very happy that a solution was found. So did Ebay change something recently, and if you had to guess, did the other browsers just happen to catch it earlier?

Thanks for the help! ::

This article suggests turning off JavaScript permission to eBay, which is not helpful for sellers, since JS must be enable to used their facilities.

It seems to me the more logical approach is to kill the script that is doing the portscanning, and prevent it from loading.

I installed uBlock Origin and so far so good ==> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/ublock-origin-ad-blocker-now-blocks-port-scans-on-most-sites/

It is a little better but still receiving the ‘Wait -Exit’ page
pop up that states ‘page is unresponsive’.

If I click on the ‘Wait’ choice and scroll down on whatever
page I happen to be looking at, other items start to finally
load and finish and then the pop up goes away and the
page is ‘okay’. It’s not totally fixed yet but it is better.
Thank you for your persistence!

Sorry, @fanboynz, I meant that you have been on the receiving end of bad attitudes from other users. My apologies for the confusion. I was trying to compliment your professionalism, but the way I worded it was incorrect.

Will this fix cover the Android app as well? I haven’t seen an update to that come through.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.