Brave affected by OS X Apps using Kernel Extensions (kext)

Having recently upgraded my MacBook Pro to OS X 10.13.1 (High Sierra), I immediately experienced a wide range of weird instability issues:

• Whole machine inexplicably locked up three times - completely freezes, not even the mouse moves. When you force a hard reboot, there are no entries in the syslogs to describe what might have gone wrong.
  • Mail sometimes continually transfers data over the network (both uploading and downloading) even though the app is not currently active
  • Characters typed into Terminal do not appear on the screen - although the command you enter does work correctly
  • Finder reports the correct disk usage, but then says that many of my directories contain zero files (only a reboot fixes this)
  • Can no longer detect that my Apple Cinema display has a screen! The network connection, mouse and audio inputs all function correctly through the cinema display, its only the screen that isn’t detected.
  • When the battery gets down to about 15%, it sometimes keeps working fine until the “Low battery” warning pops up, and sometimes sleeps without warning

For several years now I have also been using a network monitoring tool called “Little Snitch” by Bjango Software and since it installs itself as a kernel extension, I was told that this was probably the cause of all these weird issues.

So I have uninstalled Little Snitch and the machine is now behaving properly - and now Brave no longer crashes when I change my network settings.

This would explain my previous issues of Brave crashing when the network settings were changed (see Brave crashes after change to network settings for details). It was due to the presence of Little Snitch’s kext.

Chris W

Grrr, spoke too soon.

Just disconnected from the VPN and Brave crashed again…

I have the entire crash dump saved to a file, but this forum gives no way to upload such information

Brave: 0.19.105
rev: 51f8ba56ca1c1409ddd0620b12650bb7f81c2f79
Muon: 4.5.16
libchromiumcontent: 62.0.3202.94
V8: 6.2.414.42
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Platform: macOS
OS Release: 17.2.0
OS Architecture: x64

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.