Brave ads on Ubuntu broken

I have tried almost everything to try and figure out why brave ads won’t work for me on my linux machine running 21.10 Ubuntu. It works fine on macOS but no luck on ubuntu. If anyone can help with this that would be greatly appreciated

@AlriteDi Out of curiosity, did you clone your wallet or did you start off new? Is your wallet verified?

I’m guessing you’ve already gone through the list of things that can interfere as I’ve provided before on my PSA post and you can see on official sorts I linked to from there, right? Things like making sure nothing is blocking notifications, no gaming mouse being used, etc?

I cloned my wallet and it is verified. Should I have not cloned it? & no that was my first time going through the list as I joined the forum today to ask this question since I was having no luck solving this issue.

@AlriteDi Correct, each device is supposed to have its own wallet. They can both be verified with Uphold or whatever, but different identifiers within the browser. If it’s an exact clone, then the servers on Brave’s side see it as an issue.

User were running multiple browsers with the same wallet

That’s listed as one of the things that can stop you from getting ads, which you see at https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360055013431-Why-don-t-I-see-any-Brave-Ads-after-enabling-them-

Alongside that, is:

Users manually backup (copy/paste) and restore their user profiles to new computers (restoration fails as we could not decrypt the wallet as each instance of the wallet has its own decryption key)

Ok. So how exactly do I fix this? Do I just ‘reset’ in ‘manage your wallet’? Or should i just do a fresh install? Or something else?

That part I’m not sure on to be honest. Normally I’d say just remove it from the one that’s not seeing anything and has no BAT, then do a fresh install from the official Brave page. Once you get that set in, you should be able to sign into your verified Gemini or Uphold. So long as Brave Ads are turned on and your settings on the device are right, you should start seeing ads and earning BAT.

As to your bookmarks and all, you should be able to then create a sync chain on the older browser and then “Add to Sync Chain” with the new browser. Once they share the same sync chain, you should be set. Downfall of course is if you had any browser extensions, I do believe you’ll need to install them again and all as it’s not backed up or shared via Sync.

I don’t believe there’s an easier way to do it. It’s possible you can copy certain folders and move over, but I do hesitate since people have said that can be finicky. What I suggested is actually what I’ve done when I’ve changed devices and have had no issues at this point.

Ok thanks. I have things to do in the morning. So i intend to try a fresh install to see if that works and i will post my results tomorrow.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.