Brave ads/campaign vs country of residence vs country of ID issuer

Hi all,
As there’s quite a few of us Brave users who recently experienced “region not supported” error I have question. Considering you have moved from the country that is “temporarily” not supported by Brave to the country that is supported, will your Brave ads be based on the country of residence call it “new home” or based on country of ID issuer/place where you born and got your ID from? This may seem unrelevant for some but Brave ads campaigns are not rolled equally in all countries and one may “feel punished” for seeing less ads because holding ID from his Motherland but been permanent resident of “new home” country where other “native” people got more ads due to more campaigns rolled. Summarising, they both living in the same country but one born in other country and arrived at some point and the other was here whole his life, will they receive different amount of ads or the same? Lets say they use same devices even share same living address to make this example situation easier to understand. Please share your knowledge in this matter, thanks.

Ads aren’t based on either, necessarily. Brave Ads are based on your IP Address and your device Locale.

On a side note, that’s actually why a lot of people get themselves flagged. Their device will be programmed to show they are in one country but then they use a VPN to appear elsewhere. This creates a conflict in the ad system, as ads are only supposed to show for particular regions and it can’t figure out which one you should be. Hence why it’s suggested you use a VPN in the same region you’re in, if you’re going to be using it. Otherwise to turn off Brave Ads while you’re spoofing your location. (These aren’t the ONLY things Brave looks at, but it’s the two primary. Never good to try to bypass restrictions.)

This part here, however, has seemed to cause an issue in being able to link to Uphold or Gemini. If you want to be able to withdraw BAT to a bank or anything, then those exchanges will require photo ID from you. When they do this, they are doing what is required from government in what is called KYC and AML.

Let us pretend for a moment that your Uphold profile shows you in England but your passport shows you from India. That mismatch might make it show as your region unavailable, since India isn’t supported right now. Even though you have your address as England, you didn’t verify that in your documentation. Both things have to kind of agree, otherwise it doesn’t pass the thresholds set by governments to prevent money laundering.

Nobody is ever going to receive the same amount of ads.

First off, are they on the same type of device? Like maybe one is Android and other is Windows. Then the ads targeting them might be different, so one might have much more ads.

Secondly, where a person is inside a country can matter. For example, advertisers in the United States can choose which states in the country they want their ads to be seen. So it might exclude Florida (where I live) but want to be seen in Georgia. In that case, person in Georgia might have more chances to see ads than I do.

Lastly, there’s a bit of a lottery to ads. It’s constantly spinning and there’s a chance for you to see no ads or to see a particular ad. It tries to randomize among Users this way to spread things out. It is kind of complicated to understand, but it’s kind of explained by g00z at Understanding Brave Ads Catalog Viewer - #7 by g00z

Still a lot of random things to consider. One such example is that Person 1 plays a lot of video games on their device and Person 2 only uses their device to search the internet. Person 2 will have more opportunities to earn ads, because Brave will decrease or pause ads when games are being played or videos watched in full screen. It does this so as to not disrupt what you’re doing.

All of that said, country you were born has no part to play in how many ads you’ve seen. Where you live only matters in terms of whether there are ad campaigns in your region targeting your device.

I hope my answers weren’t too difficult to understand. Please let me know if this helped provide insight.

Thanks for your reply. IP address - this is exactly what I was hoping to get as an answer which should satisfied all of us. And no, VPN is not the point of my question but rather ID issued in different country (not supported right now but seem like it was for last 3 years) than country of residence. Thanks again for your answer.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.