Brave accesses internet when browser is closed

There needs to be an option to turn this off. If the browser is not open there should be no need to access the internet. If it is checking for new versions or any other data, it should only do this when I open the browser.
If I have my firewall restrict access and ask for approval, Brave has issues with it.

I have completely deleted Brave.

I have had nothing but problems with ‘rewards’ so I completely opted out and the browser worked fine.
I hate how it handles bookmarks but I can live with it for the sake of more security.

The creepy, constant connection is a deal breaker for me.
I would love to use Brave if they would address this issue.

Hello.

It would have been nice to know, on which OS this happens and which steps you took to confirm that Brave downloads upgrades in the background when it’s closed, to help someone willing to look into the matter. Also, which firewall.

Technically, an application cannot do anything when it’s not running.
So, one several things could be happening:

• The application is not really closed.
    On macOS for instance, closing all the windows does not quit the application.
    Mobile platforms handle application processes themselves, unless you force quit an application there’s no guarantee that it’s running or not running when not in the foreground.

• The application installed a service for its updates.
    Again on macOS, I could not find any such thing – whereas the built in Safari has an updater service installed.

• Something else is going on, but without information there’s no way to even make an educated guess.

On a side note, I also have some gripes with Brave’s user interface.

edit: if it’s mobile, see this:

Can you share a bit more information? Which process was accessing the Internet while the browser was closed? How were you monitoring the activity? Were you able to see which IP addresses (or domains) were being accessed? Do you happen to have any extensions installed which might be enabling background behavior (meaning they can run even when the browser itself is not open and running)?

1 Like

Windows 7? You’re truly a man of culture.

there were two different requests to access the internet. One for Brave and one for Brave Updater.

I can’t check because I don’t have Windows, but this hints that Brave was running at the time.

Note that Brave is not a single process, it spawns a half dozen other helper processes (I think, so that if one crashes it doesn’t bring the whole house down).

I advise to provide the info that the support team member asked, and I’d say also a screenshot of the task manager showing which “Brave something” processes are running.

It could be, if really the main Brave Browser application is closed, that the updater process does not close with it, perhaps because it has a download in progress.

I take the opportunity to plug my favorite windows task manager, SysInternals Process Explorer, free download from the Microsoft site (they acquired SysInternals long time ago).

It seems your question is specifically about the Updater service, is this correct? If so, the updater process runs independent of the browser because the browser itself may run too infrequently to stay up-to-date with the ever-changing topography of attacks online. If you were to go a while without using Brave, and then launch it one day to check for updates, any pages/extensions it launches with could have an opportunity to attack known vulnerabilities (since the app itself has not yet had a chance to update).

I must say, I’m a bit sorry for my previous reply.

I wrongly assumed as unlikely that there is always a background process doing updates and I was skeptical, but this is now officially confirmed.
I can say it makes sense both ways, but this should definitely be an option.
For most use cases, that’s fine, but there are times when anything “calling home” possibly at the wrong time, for whatever legitimate purpose, is no good at all. Never mind OS does it all the time.
I indeed wish Brave was more “power user friendly” in may ways.

Now, more baseless speculation from me: as a workaround, whether it’s a “service” or a “startup item”, I think it’s better to disable it rather than blocking its network access with the firewall.
Maybe Brave will start it when it’s opened, or maybe it will fail – it surely wants to contact it.
If it fails, then a script could be used to start that process, open the browser, and kill it afterwards.
Not optimal, I know.

I think this issue should be framed as a feature request, “make background updates optional”.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.