Brave 1.5.130,131 slow on Android

Description of the issue:

Starting with Brave 1.5.130, and continuing on 1.5.131, Brave is slow on my phone (device details below), in two specific flows:

How can this issue be reproduced?

flow 1

1. Startup brave after restarting phone or after killing brave.
    Expected: (always the case before 1.5.130): shows open tab (almost) instantaneously.
    Observed: Shows empty page (not even the ads blocked, https upgrades, etc page, just an empty page) for about 10 seconds before showing the last used tab.

flow 2

1. Whenever opening, from a running brave, a New private tab.
    Expected: (always the case before 1.5.130): shows new private tab (almost) instantaneously.
    Observed: whatever tab was shown remains shown, there seems to be nothing happening, and after approx. 10 seconds, the new private tab is shown.

Apart from these cases with long delays, the browser is still responsive in all other everyday flows/uses.

For daily use (with a phone I switch off at night), I can learn to live with flow 1, but flow 2 is a major pain for me.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Brave 1.5.131, Chromium 80.0.3987.162

Mobile Device details
Android 10; ONEPLUS A6003 Build/QKQ1.190716.003

Additional Information:

Have tried privacy -> clear browsing data -> advanced -> browsing history + cookies and site data + cached images and file, time range all time.
Have tried Clear cache from within Android Settings, Apps, Brave, Storage&Cache.
Neither helped.
Have not yet tried removing and re-installing, I would lose too much information (unless there’s a way to save it?)

If additional information is required, let me know and I’ll try to provide it.

I’ve noticed similar performance problems. The most obvious seems to be related to specific sites.
Example:

Going to that link causes Brave to become unresponsive.
It’s the same behavior with Shields on or off.
Chrome browser loads the same link quickly.

This is on my Pixel 3a XL, Brave version 1.5.131

No? Even a reply “we cannot reproduce this” would be something. I’m still “suffering” from this issue, if there’s any additional information that’s helpful for looking into it, or if there’s anything I can try, it’d be appreciated.

Okay, it seems Brave 1.7.102 (“we made some internal speed improvement”) makes a big difference. It is still lagging a bit upon startup and upon starting a new private tab, but it’s now maybe 1-2 seconds instead of 10 seconds. Major improvement for me.

I can confirm a somewhat laggy behavior when opening Brave on Android 5 (very old) and Android 10 (very new) devices. But that has always be the case for me and is not new.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.