Brave 1.30.x Default Shield Behavior Change

Improving Privacy By Improving Web Compatibility

Brave 1.30x Lower the Shields Bar for Default Behavior

Although I understand the concern and the rationale behind the change I disagree with the method. Instead of lowering the Default Shield’s Setting, Brave should have a setting that steps down to the “New Default” when encountering problems rather than lowering the bar or removing shields altogether. One goal I see for Brave is to shape the privacy minimums for the internet community using Brave’s growing userbase and access to it as a motivator. As more people move to Brave the pressure to move toward better security and privacy will grow. If Brave opts to lower the bar for compatibility this pressure is reduced and the status quo is maintained.

I propose more granularity and letting the user choose their Privacy/Security Level… How about a Level I0 (new default), Level 20 (Historical Default), and Level 30 (Current Aggressive). I also propose that research be done to determine which aspects/elements of security most often impact users. If you track this you can target what to work out and improve and the changes to push for with W3C et al. Brave needs to be proactive in shaping the internet using its users clout to encourage more privacy and security.

Does Brave know which Privacy and Security features most Brave users want most?, what about most internet users?, what about most Google Chrome? and Chromium users?, Safari users? Edge users? Yandex users?

What do Brave’s experts in security and privacy think is most efficacious?

What are/Where are the most egregious privacy and security holes outstanding? Brave doesn’t seem to support ESNI or the ECH replacement so why not? Is this one of the greatest vulnerabilities?

Users need a tool of advocacy and joining the Brave userbase gives them that IF BRave developers weild this power wisely and in the best interests of users.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.