Brave 1.10.93 (and previous?) not displaying valid data on John Hopkins website

Description of the issue:

All the data areas on this specific URL shows “Not fully configured” text instead of normal expected data.

How can this issue be reproduced?
Open URL https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html [John Hopkins website] in Brave.
This is the “World Map” page.

All the data areas show “Not fully configured.”

This has been true for the last week (even with the previous Brave).
Previously (a couple weeks ago) this page worked OK in Brave.

Expected result:
Valid data in the “Not fully configured” areas.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.10.93 Chromium: 83.0.4103.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I deleted everything in the Brave browser cache – no diff (still “Not fully configured” text).

This page looks fine under latest Google Chrome Version 83.0.4103.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I’m running under Windows10 Pro x64 1909

1 Like

@WayOutWest
I go to this site often but I am not seeing an issue and never have. I have the same OS and versions.
Can you provide screen shot?

Screenshots of what I see from Brave (without shields, but same with) & Chrome. Same Windows10 PC so same networking & DNS etc. No AntiVirus (other than built-in Windows Defender, but I have most of that turned off).

I do see valid data on in Brave on the U.S. Map tab, just not the World Map tab.

I think I have the same setup and I get something different.

@WayOutWest,
I’m seeing the site display as intended in Brave on my Windows 10 system on version 1.10.93.

Do you have any extensions installed at this time? Additionally, can you try right-clicking on the page, select Brave --> Clear all CSS rules for this site from the context menu and see if this resolves the issue?

Brave --> Clear all CSS rules for this site == no diff, still “Not fully configured”

Again tried clearing cookies, cache.

Also tried same website with same version of Brave on a PC running an older Win10. On that PC the site looks OK.

Tracked problem down to a browser extension, VPN with Private Internet Access. The reason I didn’t suspect that one previously is that it’s not enabled (i.e. click on it to turn on VPN, click again to turn it off). I’m browsing with it off, so it’s odd that it’s doing anything that would interfere with a website.

It turns out that VPN extension also does things even when the tunnel is disabled; I didn’t know about those settings. A lot of them look similar to Brave’s shield’s (or those of other extensions that block tracking etc.). I turned some off until I figured out which ones were in play. So I can run that way, or completely disable that browser extension unless I want to use it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.