Brave 0.24.0 + 1Password + macOS 10.14 = severe instability

Resolved

I don’t know what I did differently, but everything seems to be working fine now. If anyone else has this issue, my recommendation would be to keep trying. After a restart of the browser, everything is working as it should be.

Description

When enabling the 1Password extension in Brave 0.24.0 on macOS Mojave 10.14, when clicking on the extension icon, everything goes to hell. Sorry I don’t have a more descriptive way to explain that, but please reference the video link…

Steps to Reproduce

1. Perform a clean install of macOS Mojave 10.14 (not an update)
  2. Install latest version of 1Password (7.2.1)
  3. Install the latest live version of Brave (0.24.0)
  4. Enable 1Password extension in Brave

Actual result:

Brave will repeatedly, and at a high rate, reload the 1Password website, trying to link to the 1Password app, while forcing the 1Password app to come to the foreground regardless of what apps are open, and will persist until, and if I’m able to, close the open tab that tried to call up the 1Password app.
Video demonstration: Video Link

Expected result:

Brave should call up the 1Password extension function

Reproduces how often:

100%

Brave Version

about:brave info:

Brave: 0.24.0
V8: 6.9.427.23
rev: f657f15bf7e0e0c50a2b854c6b05edb59bfc556c
Muon: 8.1.6
OS Release: 18.0.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: macOS
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 69.0.3497.100

Reproducible on current live release:

Yes

Props on being the first user in along time actually following the rules of completing a proper description with all the necessary variables.

That being said, honestly mate you’re best using their Download Brave Beta | Brave Browser. Firstly because the only thing that is important to them coherently in regards to their current brave-laptop-Moun version is security so exiting using don’t suffer from any serious vulnerability and I think that is all unless a much needed fix is easy to spend some of the resources on. Secondly, their beta version already has many of the fixes that users are facing in the current version and also contain many users’ suggestions. Finally, their dev/beta version will make-up their soon to be released v1.0 at which point I’m pretty sure they’ll deprecate the Moun version altogether in favour of brave-browser-core.

Thanks for the info. I tried the Beta, but I couldn’t find a way to enable 1Password. Maybe someone out there has been able to figure that out and could share their knowledge.

Hi @lutheranpriest I think issue created below in Github is issue causing the instabilities unless a moderator would like to clarify further as it is similar to other extensions having the same issue -

Your template seems familiar with Github’s and I thought it may be a good idea to ‘+1’ and link this topic as well because currently it’s in the backlog. I imagine because they’re trying to push major parts of brave-core out first and juxtaposing this and similar issues with the next dev or beta release sort of like they did on the Moun version may only cause more conflicts and may be a much better idea to mitigate them when greater resources are at hand around the same time as well.

Do you have have an account or would you prefer one of the moderators to +1 and link it?

Hi @Numpty, thanks for the info. I’m not too familiar with troubleshooting bugs, app development, etc, so if one of the moderators wants to +1 that relevant post, that would be great. I just copied the template that was linked in the post “How to Submit an Efficient Bug Report” for my bug report. I figured for my first post, it would probably receive better attention if I followed the rules. :thinking:

edit: it’s working find now, don’t know what made the difference, but I’m happy with it.

1 Like

@lutheranpriest, thank you for reaching out to us! We always appreciate it when users follow the guidelines, so thank you for that as well!

It seems as though you’re up an running with the Beta so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to create a new topic. If you have any questions about using this forum or additional posting rules/guidelines, you’re more than welcome to message me directly and I’d be happy to assist you.

Enjoy your privacy!