Brave 0.22.714 beachballs on launch on Mac OS 10.13.4. Had to Force Quit

OS version: Mac OS 10.3.4

Hi, I updated via the in-browser mechanism to 0.22.714 and when it restarted it beachballed and I had to Force Quite the application from the dock

I then deleted Brave from /Applications and downloaded the complete browser from brave.com, installed and launched.

Same beachball behaviour and I had to Force Quit

I had no issues with previous versions

Any recommendations ? Is there something which can start Brave in ‘safe mode’ or something like that. Should I delete some other folders ?

Hi @yusufg

It sounds like something in your profile is causing an issue but I’m not sure what.

Could you try this for me:
Close Brave.
Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support
Rename your brave folder to be something else like brave-beachball
Launch Brave again.

This will launch Brave with a completely clean profile (no history, bookmarks, passwords, etc). Just want to check if my guess about your profile is correct.

Thanks,
Lauren

Update problem 0.22.714 (6.0.9) 18. Mai 18 // Mac OS X 10.11.6

Having same issue on MacOS 10.12.6

I’ll try your solution and see if that works.

Ok, that worked, my Brave now comes up and does not beachball.

How do I get my bookmarks and saved login/passwords back?

To answer my own question. I did a diff -r on the two directories and based on that I figured out the following couple of files:

1. To get bookmarks back I copied session-store-1 from the old brave to the new.

2. To get login/password info back I copied ‘Login Data’ from the old to new.

Now everything seems to be working.

Hi @lornewilson

Great work on putting that together. I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about your browsing habits so I can try to reproduce your issue:

• did you have many tabs/windows open?
  • did you have any extensions enabled (Honey, Bitwarden, etc)
  • did you have any plugins enabled (Flash, Widevine)
  • did you have a lot of bookmarks?
  • anything else you think could be helpful?

Thanks,
Lauren

Hi @LaurenWags, What I ended up doing was to delete 0.22.714 from /Applications. Install 0.22.669 and do another update to 0.22.714 from there and surprisingly everything works well now

Hi @yusufg

Thanks for reporting back! Just to confirm, you didn’t remove anything from ~/Library/Application Support - you only did a re-install of 0.22.669 and updated to 0.22.714?

Thanks,
Lauren

@LaurenWags. That is correct

Thanks @yusufg! I’d still like to look into this issue, if you have any information you think might be helpful for me to replicate such as:

• did you have many tabs/windows open?
  • did you have any extensions enabled (Honey, Bitwarden, etc)
  • did you have any plugins enabled (Flash, Widevine)
  • did you have a lot of bookmarks?
  • anything else you think could be helpful?

Best,
Lauren

@LaurenWags,

I use brave primarily for banking. I normally only have one or two tabs open at a time. I do not have any plugins or extensions enabled. I do have a fair number of bookmarks, perhaps 150. Most were copied over from FireFox when I moved to Brave and haven’t been used. However, the banking ones get used all the time. For that it is about 15 bookmarks.

I can’t think of anything else, other than perhaps a log file. I have the original brave folder out of ~Library/Application Support. I could send you a log file from there perhaps. Or turn on a higher level of debug and put that folder back and try it again and get a log file?

I’d be glad to help, I love the browser.

lorne

Hi @lornewilson

Is there a file in the crashpad folder (located within your previous brave folder) from around the time that you tried to launch and had issues?

Thanks,
Lauren

Yes, I have a crashpad folder. It does not appear to have anything in it. But I’d be glad to send it to you, or put it somewhere you can get to it.

lorne

Had the same problem on Windows 10. I guess I’ll download the old version and install to see what happens.