Bookmarks unusable

bug
windows
performance

I imported my bookmarks from Chrome but it is extremely laggy when moving bookmark folders around to the bar. It also will no longer let me move folders in between each other. Its so bad that I have folders stuck inside of other folders. The whole browser slows down when trying to do anything with bookmarks. Something really isn’t right here, looks like this has been an issue since at least March.

11-02-17

Brave: 0.19.80
rev: 7d07299a5d462d3c9ae32cfbfbe7296cc57c89b9
Muon: 4.5.13
libchromiumcontent: 62.0.3202.75
V8: 6.2.414.36
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
OS Release: 10.0.16299
OS Architecture: x64

Hi @ScoobyJD

How many bookmarks do you have in total (a rough number)? Are you trying to move folders on the bookmark toolbar or in bookmark manager? Do you see the sluggishness when you try to use the browser in general or when you are trying to add a new bookmark or try to load an existing bookmark?

Also could you please paste the details from about:brave and let us know which version you are running.

Possibly related issue:

If I add more than about five bookmarks to the bookmark toolbar, I quickly (but not immediately) lose at least one of them. I’m not sure exactly when it happens, I just go looking for a tab and it’s no longer there. My internet connection is rather unstable, and I frequently attempt to reload pages that don’t come up due to lack of connection or inability to contact DNS server. Still, just because a page doesn’t load, it shouldn’t self-delete from the bookmarks toolbar.

Name Version
Brave 0.19.70
rev d4b94c6
Muon 4.5.9
libchromiumcontent 62.0.3202.62
V8 6.2.414.32
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel Release
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
OS Release 10.0.14393
OS Architecture x64

I have no idea, maybe 100+ urls and 12 folders. It was stuttering in manager and bar when moving bookmarks. I can do a screen capture if you guys tell me how. I updated the first post with brave:about.

Bookmarks have been unusable since I started using Brave many months ago. I keep having to switch back to Firefox just so I can keep my bookmarks organized and/or if I want to bookmark something new. They keep saying fixes are coming but each new release of Brave yields no improvement. I guess it’s a low priority.

Could you try clearing browsing cache once and try. You can use Licecap (https://www.cockos.com/licecap/) which is a free tool to record the steps in a gif image and share it here.

@subjectv could you elaborate on the issue you are having so that we can try to solve it.

I have tried clearing cache and everything. Uploaded screen cap, I actually found OBS :slight_smile:https://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com/business4/uploads/brave/original/2X/a/a1825aabfedb38e0523b5ca1be12031c66a22a4f.mp4

I’ve never been able to move or rearrange any bookmarks except those on the toolbar. I can move and rearrange folders and subfolders within the manager, but not bookmarks. But even if I could move them, rearranging bookmarks when using folders and sub-folders has a big issue in the UI. Since neither pane of the manager shows folders and bookmarks combined (like they appear in the menu), organizing them (say, having a sub-folder above a group of bookmarks within a folder) is impossible.

Brave: 0.19.80
rev: 7d07299a5d462d3c9ae32cfbfbe7296cc57c89b9
Muon: 4.5.13
libchromiumcontent: 62.0.3202.75
V8: 6.2.414.36
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Platform: macOS
OS Release: 17.0.0
OS Architecture: x64

You might thinking of Bookmark sorting?

Yes, currently it’s lower priority than other bug fixes :persevere:

I hear you. I have 1000+ bookmarks in 30 or so folders, and Brave is just so grindingly slow trying to use them. I don’t use the bookmark bar – I have one large folder with the 30 subject folders inside that. When I click on the main folder it usually takes 10-15 seconds for the folder to open, then about the same time to open a sub-folder. If I scroll past the sub-folder I want and try to scroll back, the whole bookmark menu starts jumping up and down, and I have to move my cursor out of it and click somewhere else to exit the bookmark menu, then try again. Plus, there’s no way to alphabetize new bookmarks. And don’t get me started on the 10-15 minutes it takes to add a new bookmark.

I’ve given up on Brave until this is fixed, and gone back to using DuckDuckGo on Chrome.

I’d love to use Brave for my daily browsing but bookmarks make Brave unusable for me, too.

At this point, I’m going to try using Brave for my Ethereum Dapp development, but that’s about it for me until the bookmarks become usable.

Brave takes over 3 minutes just to open the “Imported from Chrome” bookmarks menu. The bookmark manager can’t handle this load either.

How many bookmarks do I have? Over 14,000. Yes, I really do! Chrome has no problem with this many bookmarks at all. I use bookmarks as sort of a database to capture ideas as I browse and I’ve been using bookmarks that way for a looooong time.

Any news or updates yet?

I just imported a large number of bookmarks from another browser and am experiencing similar problems to what are described here. Suffice it to say I’m not going to add a new bug report and it pretty much makes Brave unusable. I’m going to have to delete them all and just manually bookmark pages as I go. The bookmarks functionality as a whole needs to work the way it does in other chromium based browsers (which is pretty much everything now).

I have also imported bookmarks from chrome to Brave. I have may be 100 bookmarks. In Brave Dev (release channel 0.19.x, latest) I can move bookmark folder in the bookmark bar. But in the Brave Beta channel (0.22.x, latest) I cannot do that on bookmark bar. In fact, some times I lost folders or bookmarks if I do that. Instead I open the bookmark manager and can move folders there. Please see whether you can do that as well.

Brave 0.19.122| rev|009e792
Mac OSX 10.13.2 High Seirra

When using the Bookmark Manager to move bookmarks around, the Brave Browser freezes, and is unable to move the bookmarks where I want them. I have approximately 300-500 bookmarks organized in about 60-100 different folders. I have also noticed when I click the Bookmarks Toolbar, it does not even let me access the pulldown menu. And every time I click it, I get some serious lags.

I would like to duplicate how I have them setup in Chrome and Firefox.

Brave 0.19.123|
rev f45cb3a|
macOS Sierra 10.12.6

I’m newbe with Brave. I do not understand how such a basic problem remains unresolved.

It’s a shame, because I’d really like to test Brave out.

I just joined the community to report my experience with Brave.

I read about Brave in an article and got curious.
I tried Brave and it looked good!
I used Brave for a bit and it was incredibly fast!
I used Brave a bit more and it was going to be my browser to use!

But then I imported my more than 4.000 bookmarks to Brave and… Brave was gone. :frowning:

It’s just not possible to use a browser without bookmarks. The bookmarks freeze the browser and are unusable.

I’ll try to keep my eye once in a while open to check if this problem is solved some day so I can install Brave and test it once again, but for now that is it for me.

I also have “lost” entire folders of bookmarks by moving them in the bookmarks bar. They ended up inside another folder so I did eventually find them, but this is a really frustrating area of Brave at the moment.