Bookmarks not visible in manager

Hi.
Brave version 0.24.0
I’m running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64.
I started using Brave a couple of days ago.
I imported my bookmarks etc. from Chrome.
I added a few more bookmarks.
I used the manager to rearrange my bookmarks.
At some point everything except the top level folders ceased to be visible in the manager, although bookmarks do still appear in the toolbar.
Exporting bookmarks doesn’t work - it doesn’t hang, no file appears.
C:\Users…\AppData\Roaming\brave\session-store-1 is 3.12 MB - my first thought was corruption but I don’t know what to look for.
I would prefer not to have to set up afresh if possible.
Thanks in advance!

Brave: 0.24.0
V8: 6.9.427.23
rev: f657f15bf7e0e0c50a2b854c6b05edb59bfc556c
Muon: 8.1.6
OS Release: 6.1.7601
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
I added folder TEST1 to Bookmarks Toolbar and TEST2 to Other Bookmarks - only TEST1 was visible.
I added a bookmark to folder TEST1 and while that is visible in the toolbar, it doesn’t appear in the bookmark manager,
libchromiumcontent: 69.0.3497.100

@Stef, thanks for reaching out. And excellent reporting!
We’ve had several issues with 0.24.0 surrounding bookmarks. Before we start troubleshooting with the live release (the version you’re using), have you seen/tried the newest Brave Beta release? While it is still in Beta, it’s more than suitable for daily use and has a ton of feature additions and improvements - including a much nicer, straight forward way to import your bookmarks and other settings.

I highly recommend hopping on the Beta train. Download and more info here:
https://brave.com/blog/brave-beta-release

Thanks!
As soon as I imported bookmarks and setting from Brave into Brave Beta virtually every link caused a crash (I had reporting enabled so hopefully they’ve reached someone)
I then tried importing everything but bookmarks from Brave and bookmarks only from Chrome - same result. After a process of elimination it seems stable with a radically cut down list of bookmarks from Chrome imported via HTML file - although I’m getting a banner on startup - “Brave Software API keys are missing”.api
Bonus question: If I use this as my daily driver, will I be able to migrate smoothly when the Beta becomes the stable version?

Do you have Brave Rewards enabled?

If so, that’s whats causing the crashes. We’ve got an issue logged for this and will have a patch out by the next build update. For now, if you disable Brave Rewards, the browser should stop crashing and you should also be able to import anything from any available browser.

Bonus answer: Yep! Everyone on Beta will be auto-updated to 1.0 when the time comes.

Thanks.
I don’t think I enabled Rewards, when I go to chrome://rewards/ the only option is to to join…

That’s new.
Can you show me a screenshot of the way you had your import configured right before actually clicking “import”?

Lucky me :wink:
I think this is what I did…
Untitled
Untitled2

If you were to perform those actions again right now, does the browser crash again?

Also I’d like to edit something I mentioned above:

:point_up_2: This is inaccurate and I apologize for the misunderstanding.
The Beta and Dev channel installs will stay Beta/Dev - no upgrades
Muon users will be updated from Muon --> Beta [planned for 16th this month] --> Brave 1.0 [early Nov.]
When Brave 1.0 launches, all users on Muon will be updated to 1.0, and Beta/Dev channels will be available to test and provide feedback on features that will eventually make their way into the live release. Again, I apologize if this caused any confusion.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.