Bookmarks bar always open on start and new page and bitwarden is hard to get open

when brave starts or when i hit plus to open a new page the bookmrakes bar is always open and on it opens in brave home instead my yahoo home as i have designated in setting. i also. have chosen the turn off bookmarks drop down check and in settings. i’ve checked everywhere and can’t get it to stop.
another items. the bitwarden extension is very hard to open (ie- you have to click on a bunch of times to get it to finally open. thank you.

Hi @jlhillhouse,

Can you also provide your Brave version and your OS? Screenshot or recording of the issue will be helpful.

Thanks,
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

eljuno, screens shots are attached. OS is windows 7 pro. I found on the slow bitwarden load to do execption on adblock and it works fine. also, i may have asked before, is there a chance that a search bar could be added? i know a lot of people say this is unnessary but i find it very helpful. thank you, johnny

Thanks for the info @jlhillhouse,

An issue logged for bookmarks bar on new tab here

cc @Mattches, IIRC he received similar report about extension that not working properly due to Brave shields.

1 Like

Eljuno, i just moved back to Brave Beta------- it seems faster and more stablre but i still have the same issue as printed below. will it still get worked on in the Brave Beta editor? thank, you. Johnny

Previous Replies

jlhillhouse
October 2
eljuno, screens shots are attached. OS is windows 7 pro. I found on the slow bitwarden load to do execption on adblock and it works fine. also, i may have asked before, is there a chance that a search bar could be added? i know a lot of people say this is unnessary but i find it very helpful. thank you, johnny

Actually that is inherited from chromium, I guess. Chromium show bookmark bar in new tabs ONLY if the bookmark bar is hidden in settings. When opening a new tab the chances are more to open from bookmark tab if bookmark bar is set not to show.
But it can be given an option too as requested.
Thanks

Nellaiseemai, sorry I do not follow your answer. also, I have tried chrome and it does not do this. Thank you, Johnny

Thanks. Sorry my comment is for this: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/1306

I have chrome and Canary installed. They both show bookmark bar in new tab though “show bookmark bar” is turned off in the settings. Screenshots attached.2018-10-07_12-39-09

nellaiseemai
thank you for the reply, so does this mean the issue is going to be fixed? Johnny

I’ve been seeing a surprising amount of concern and confusion surrounding this particular issue. Let me try to get everyone on the same page:

There’s currently only one setting relevant to this issue:
(Menu --> Bookmarks --> Show Bookmarks Bar)
OR
( New Tab Page --> Right Click in BM Bar area)
Both methods shown below ------ :point_down: :point_down: :point_down:

The current, default behavior:

• Selecting Show Bookmarks Bar will display BM bar under main nav/URL for any tab you have open in Brave. This includes the New Tab page.
  • Deselecting Show Bookmarks Bar will turn of the display for every tab in Brave with the exception of the New Tab page where it will remain displayed.

Is this inherited behavior from Chromium?
Yes. Chrome has this same behavior with default settings:

Is there a way to turn-off the Bookmarks Bar on the New Tab page?
No, there is currently no way to do that. However, as @eljuno cited in a previous reply, we have an issue open to implement such a feature:

As it stand right now, your only two options are to either:

• Show Bookmarks Bar on every open tab in Brave
  • Show Bookmarks Bar on New Tab page only

Hopefully this clears up some confusion. If you have any further questions please let me know. Additionally, if you see someone asking the same question, link them to this reply so that they to can be on the same page.

1 Like

not very good answer

@jlhillhouse, if you’re still having issues or are unsure about anything mentioned here or related to the topic, message me directly and I’ll be happy to help. I’m going to close this thread for now.