Blurry Download Screen PC

Description of the issue: Each time I am using Brave and file explorer is launched through Brave (to browse for an upload file or to select a download destination) the file explorer screen is blurry, like an older version of windows. Or as if I am on some server. Everything else, desktop, Brave itself, other icons are in HD, but the file explorer window alone is blurry. This issue does not happen in other search engines.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1) Open Brave 2) Try to upload or download something that prompts Brave to open file explorer

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

<-- Using Brave
<-- Using Chrome
Expected result:

Reproduces how often: Everytime

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu): Version 1.3.115 Chromium: 80.0.3987.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1 Like

Ditto. I’m using same Brave version and Win 10 19564.1 (Fast ring)
What Win version are you using?

I’m on Windows 10 Pro version 1903

@robert.routledge @ojallen
Would you mind testing this behavior on Chrome or Chromium as well and see if you get the same results?

Tested with Chrome Version 80.0.3987.106 and bug is there too
Edge 44.19564.1000.0 is OK
Suspect that text is not being optimised for 4K
Likely Chrome bug?

The thing is that you have Windows 10 scaled to 150%/200%.
Non-UWP apps (UWP apps are apps from the Microsoft Store) aren’t really designed completely to run on these types of scales.
The only solution is to disable the scaling (which will make the text a lot more smaller).

1. Right-click on your desktop.
  2. Click on Display settings.
  3. You should see the scaling option under Scale and Layout.
  4. Change it to 100% (yours might not be recommended)

The screen should now rearrange, but it is recommended to logoff and log on again after doing this.
    The bug should now be gone.
    You’re welcome :slight_smile:
1 Like

If you see this two pictures I posted, one is when using Chrome (problem did not occur), and the other is using Brave (problem occurs). It happened immediately after the most recent Brave update. I’ve been using Brave for over a year now and the file explorer window has always been HD and looked fine until now.

My scale is recommended at 250% and if put to 100% I cannot read the text unfortunately. Looking at my screenshots, it looks like the file explorer window when using Brave is of a different format than when using Chrome. Definition aside, the icons are different, different colors, etc.

It’s likely a bug with the new Chromium version (and possibly Windows 10 1903). Maybe there is a conflict, but I am sure it’s a scale problem.

I guess I just don’t see how a scaling problem would be the reason the format of the window is different. Scaling would affect the definition and size for sure, but not coloring, format, and icons.
Hopefully the next Brave update will take care of the bug.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.