So, I got a new PC back in April and up to that point, I was receiving ads on Brave on my older machine with no issue since installing the browser. Ever since then, I received absolutely no ads even after copying all Brave files from my old PC to my new one, and enabling sync.
It wasn’t until yesterday that I discovered a temporary(?) fix? Which, only works if you backed up all your Brave files like me back in April for whatever reason, maybe if you have Windows running backups every now and then it’ll work.
Basically, you head to this directory (or wherever you installed Brave):
It seems to all lie within the “client.json” file where due to a Brave update(?) it removed an essential element titled “lastPageClassification” that, once I replaced my current client file with my old April variant, ads began running again… until the next day, at least, where it automatically removed the element again for whatever reason.
I’m not entirely sure why this element is crucial as I have no coding knowledge whatsoever, nor do I know why Brave removed this element after April, but all I know is that I’m not alone here. Many Brave users are experiencing a lack of rewards ads even after syncing, even after disabling focus assistant, after everything. I would provide a download for my old April client.json file, but I have no idea if it’s specific to my browser or if it contains any privacy-invading info, but all I know is that I was incredibly lucky to have a backup so that I could receive ads again, even if it was only for a day.
Brave, please fix this.
(NOTE: My old machine ran Windows 7 Premium, I’m currently running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC on my current PC.)
EDIT: I replaced the client.json file again and ads are running once again, albeit not as frequent as it should be as I have it set for 5 ads per hour and I’m receiving moreso 1 ad per few hours average, but I can confirm that consistently replacing the file with an older variant (although a giant hassle) is a temporary fix so far. By tomorrow though I expect the client.json file to revert back and ads be broken yet again.