Better Tabs Design

Agreed. I keep going back to firefox because of this issue. I love that firefox scrolls tabs left or right and that there is a drop down menu to select from among the open tabs. Earlier versions of Brave paged between groups of tabs. That was better than having tabs get smaller and smaller to infinity and beyond. I want to abandon firefox. They abandoned me. No browser I’ve tried has made this possible. Please make this possible, Brave. If I knew how to fix it, I would, and I’d do it for free.

4 Likes

Recently Alphabet Inc released two additional flags related to this issue, llok for Tabstrip in Chrome://flags, enable both of them and relaunch to get that FireMouse feeling. In Chrome Canary 90 it’s said you can pick the size of tabs in order to avoid them shrink to flea-size.

BTW, Brave should implement a Tab sync similar to FireRat or Vivaldi since the one in Chrome is utterly crude.

I agree with the concerns expressed regarding TAB size! When I have a lot of tabs they are so small, when I try to click on one it closes because it thinks i clicked on the “X”!

I’ll have to limit the number of TABS and open more Windows with different groups of interest, untill resolved.

2 Likes

agree with you !!!

2 Likes

Why not trying in flags “Tab Search”?

Agreed!!! The tab functionality in this browser SuCKS right now. The really weird thing is that the default tab behavior in Googles Chrome is pretty good. That’s the kind of functionality I want to see in Brave. To keep my response short I will ask only 2 things:

1. Provide ability to search tabs like in Chrome. This is a godsend for people who have lots of open tabs.
  2. Dont shrink tabs to infinity. This is a horrible solution. Pick a set number according to browser window size and at the breaking point either flip to a new page of open tabs or allow the scrolling like in Firefox.

It burns my 4$$ when I’m on a page and I can’t see the tab for it straight away at the top of the browser window. The tab for the current page should … ALWAYS … be visible!

I love this browser for its underlying philosophies about user privacy and all that jazz. But please get the !@$$^#$ tab functionality fixed soon.

Thanks for a good browser. Looking forward to a better browser!

2 Likes

You can already enable these features. Just paste into your address bar
brave://flags/#enable-tab-search
and turn highlighted flag to enabled.

Then go to
brave://flags/#scrollable-tabstrip
and turn it to enabled - tabs shrink to a medium width.

5 Likes

Nice. Thank You very much. Are these beta features that will become permanent?

*** Updated *** Not available for the Android version of the Brave browser. Will they add it to Android version eventually?

It would also be nice to be able to move tabs around using, say, Ctr-Shift-PgUp and Ctr-Shift-PgDn or Ctrl-Left/Ctrl-Right.

2 Likes

Yes, we really need Group Tabs like in Safari 15 - is this on the horizon for Brave?

This is such an amazing feature, game changer when you browse dozens on websites like I always do lol

I’m really missing this in my favourite browser, it’s a must have.

Do you think Brave will release it anytime soon?

Yes the small tab size is so annoying, but anyway implementing Tab Groups like in Safari 15 is the only UX acceptable solution. Apple really nailed it here!

I’m hesitating to go back to Safari just for this improved UX, shame that Brave is so much better otherwise.

2 Likes

These settings are great, and make the browser so much more usable!

One quirk that I do miss is that I’d like to have my pinned tabs stay always visible, separate from the scrollable list, same as firefox used to do back when it was a browser.

2 Likes

Having used these settings for a while, there’s a couple of things that this doesn’t do well:

1. It should scroll the scrollable tab bar to ensure that the current tab is always visible. If I have many tabs open it can be a chore to even determine which tab I’m looking at.

2. Some sane keyboard shortcuts for switching tabs. As far as I can tell, in brave, ctrl-pgup is “randomly switch tab that I haven’t had open in ages which is almost definitely not the tab I want”, and ctrl-pgdn is “go to the tab I was at 1 second ago”. While I agree that “go to the tab I was in 10 seconds ago” is useful, it shouldn’t be on the default keyboard shortcuts that pretty much every other tabbed application uses for “previous/next” tab.

Yes. Thankfully, there’s a super light extension called Rearrange Tabs that does just this.

3 Likes

I wanted to request this feature, the worst thing about Brave is the shape of the tab.

2 Likes

Maybe this belongs to a Theme section ? With some stuff like bg color, edge color, round and padding/margin for tabs.

2 Likes

Honestly one of my major asks. I’m a huge fan of both the browser and search engine. But on Mac the tabs are so ugly. They’re so cramped and crude in their vertical lines.

3 Likes

Workspaces would help here I think. Or better group separations (add an icon for a group instead of naming it?)

I also went ahead and created a new feature request to show an icon as tab group name instead of a full text title: https://community.brave.com/t/emoji-icon-as-tab-group-name

Latest version of Nightly Mac has much, much improved tabs design!

Floating tabs are sure to be controversial, but I like them too. They also improved the tab grouping indicator. Looks better than Chrome.