Briefly describe your issue:
Due to the latest changes to Brave Rewards I connected my Gemini account to my Rewards profile. After I connected the accounts, about 25% of BAT transferred to Gemini and the other 75% disappeared.
What Operating System and Brave version are you using (
Menu --> About Brave)?
Operating System: Windows 11 OS Build 22000.1455
Brave version: Version 1.48.158 Chromium: 110.0.5481.77 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Is your Brave Rewards Profile currently verified? (yes/no)
What date did you connect a your Brave Rewards Profile?
February 8, 2023
Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past?
Yes. I also have Brave Nightly and Brave Beta installed on the same computer. When the changes to Brave Rewards were rolled out on those browsers I was able to connected my Gemini account to them and for both browsers the full vBAT balance was converted to BAT and transferred to Gemini with no issues.
Are you using a VPN? (yes/no)
Are you in a supported region (see here for list of supported regions)?