BAT lost?! Any advice much appreciated!

Hi there,

I installed Brave browser, imported my bookmarks from chrome & funded my wallet with 100 BAT
here is the tx hash

Then I experienced heavy performance issues, and after a bit of research found out the issue was the imported data, only solution to deinstall the browser and reinstall, what I did (with AppCleaner).

Now the wallet reinitialized and I received a new key (0x2797D80DdA759115971aE27b3377245022a7Ac6d)
The old wallet sent the tokens to this address 0xa95350d70b18fa29f6b5eb8d627ceeeee499340d

Are my BAT gone?
Anyone has any idea? -.-

Sincerely,
Dan

Hi @DanMercurius

Your Brave wallet can only be recovered if you backed up your Brave wallet prior to removing everything.

Alternatively, if you still have your old profile we maybe able to assist, but that requires developer help.

Thanks,
Lauren

Hello Lauren,

thanks for your response. Where can I find the old profile?

Cheers,
Dan

Hi @DanMercurius

I’m not sure if the program you named would have removed it (it’s possible it did). However, if it’s still around, it’s probably located in the same directory as your current brave profile. Your current brave profile is in one of these locations:
Windows: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\brave
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/brave
Linux: ~/.config/brave

So if it’s still around, maybe it’s named something else.

Thanks,
Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I didn’t yet delete it from my trash, got it! What files do I need to get the BAT back?
By the way my brave folder is huge!
Just now saw that brave folder in the trash is taking up 33 GB on my disk! How can this be? And the new version I’m running is taking up 215GB?! This can’t be normal.
I have to stop using brave for now.

Regards,
Dan

Hi @DanMercurius

That seems really huge. What is your OS?

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I opened an extra ticket and sriram already asked me for system info, I hope he can help use Brave again!
If you could help me out with a hint on what file to keep to access my old wallet, that be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dan

Great, thanks for opening up a separate item for that, it helps not to intermingle issues if possible :slight_smile:

Since you still have your full profile, I’d advise following these steps so you don’t need developer assistance (don’t need to send us any files, etc). I believe I saw that you have MacOS, so here’s what you should do:

Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support
Rename the current brave folder to be brave-current
Put a copy of brave folder from your trash back into ~/Library/Application Support and make sure it’s named brave
Launch Brave
Open Preferences and navigate to the Payments page
Click on the gear icon to display Advanced settings.
Click on the backup your wallet button and save your backup words (keep these safe).
Close Brave
Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support and remove the brave folder.
Rename brave-backup to be brave
Launch Brave
Open Preferences and navigate to the Payments page
Click on the gear icon and you can restore your previous wallet using the backup words from your other profile.
There may be a delay in displaying your wallet amount.

Thanks,
Lauren

Finally had some time to take care of this today and it worked like a charm! Thanks Lauren, your time and help is most appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks for reporting back @DanMercurius! Going to close this thread, please open a new one for any other issues or questions. :slight_smile:

Best,
Lauren