BAT auto-conversion in progress for days now

payments

I got the notice that there was a new version of Brave, so I let it update. So far so good.

Saw something on Twitter about the BAT transition, so I went into the Prefs & clicked on the Payments tab.

This was maybe a week ago. I got the message asking me to wait while my Bitcoin was transferred to BAT.

Since then, every time I return to the Payments tab, I see the same message. It has definitely been longer than minutes/hours.

Is there some other UI where I can go to suss out what’s happening, and un-wedge whatever is wedged?

Brave: 0.19.53
rev: e09025bf61debc46c03459def2501b3367f182d7
Muon: 4.4.29
libchromiumcontent: 61.0.3163.100
V8: 6.1.534.41
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Platform: macOS
OS Release: 16.7.0
OS Architecture: x64

Hi @rossgrady

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Are you seeing an animation with 3 bouncing balls?
  2. Does this generally describe your scenario: Had a wallet with BTC, updated Brave, got stuck on animation (3 bouncing balls), closed/reopened Brave, still see animation. If this isn’t correct, please update where my guess is incorrect.
  3. If you had a BTC wallet prior to updating and have your recovery keys, could you please private message me your first recovery key and your approximate BTC amount (or approximate USD amount) in the wallet prior to updating (if known).
  4. Can you navigate to /Library/Application Support/brave and let me know if there is a ledger-newstate.json file in this location? If so, could you private message me the contents?

Thanks!
Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I’m not the OP, but I have the exact same issue except OS is Windows 10. To answer your questions:

1. Are you seeing an animation with 3 bouncing balls?
    A. Yes

2. Does this generally describe your scenario: Had a wallet with BTC, updated Brave, got stuck on animation (3 bouncing balls), closed/reopened Brave, still see animation. If this isn’t correct, please update where my guess is incorrect.
    A. Correct.

3. If you had a BTC wallet prior to updating and have your recovery keys, could you please private message me your first recovery key and your approximate BTC amount (or approximate USD amount) in the wallet prior to updating (if known).
    A. Will send shortly.

4. Can you navigate to /Library/Application Support/brave and let me know if there is a ledger-newstate.json file in this location? If so, could you private message me the contents?
    A. Can’t find that file.

Thanks for the help!
Joe

Different user, same issue.
Points 1 and 2 are correct.
As for 3, not sure I still have any recovery keys.
Although I can navigate to /Library/Application Support, it seems to have no brave or Brave subfolder.

May I ask — what is the prescribed solution?

Brave 0.19.53
rev e09025b
Muon 4.4.29
libchromiumcontent 61.0.3163.100
V8 6.1.534.41
Node.js 7.9.0

OS Platform macOS
OS Release 16.7.0
OS Architecture x64

Very interesting @MBmb , do you have a brave-development folder in that location?

Lauren

Different user, same issue

1. Yes, seeing 3 bouncing balls
  2. Yes, had BTC wallet, updated Brave, … however I did witness the conversion of the BTC to BAT once, but on a restart or update I then got the stuck 3 balls animation.
  3. I don’t think I have the recovery keys.
  4. The only newstate.json file I have is “ledger-newstate.json” in \AppData\Roaming\brave. It has a number of different crypto addresses in there.

This has not resolved over the last 3 or so weeks.
Any chance of getting my balance (small sum) restored?
Do I have to abandon Brave as a payments platform?

Brave 0.19.80
rev 7d07299
Muon 4.5.13
libchromiumcontent 62.0.3202.75
V8 6.2.414.36
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel Release
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
OS Release 10.0.15063
OS Architecture x64

Hi @tomfcreo

Can you please private message me your ledger-state.json file? (not ledger-newstate.json)

Thanks,
Lauren

When I click on the payment tab I receive a screen with bouncing balls and the following message: Please wait while we convert bitcoin to BAT. I believe there is a bitcoin balance. Browser has been closed, reopened and updated since this started around 10-9-2017. Computer turned off – then on many times.

Details Pasted from Browser:
Brave: 0.19.80
rev: 7d07299a5d462d3c9ae32cfbfbe7296cc57c89b9
Muon: 4.5.13
libchromiumcontent: 62.0.3202.75
V8: 6.2.414.36
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
OS Release: 10.0.15063

Hi @FireWeed

If you had a BTC wallet prior to updating and have your recovery keys, could you please private message me your first recovery key and your approximate BTC amount (or approximate USD amount) in the wallet prior to updating (if known).

Thanks,
Lauren

Hi, same issue

1. Yes.
  2. I actually had a beta version of the BAT enabled browser with BAT tokens before the update was pushed to the public.
  3. I will send a private message with the details of the recovery key.
  4. For some reason I can’t find the brave folder under Application Support. Is there some trick to finding it? Is it a hidden folder?

Thanks for your help!

Toro

Actually, I found it. The brave folder is at
/Users/(my user name)/Library/Application Support/brave
It contains several files and one directory whose names start with ledger.
Is the different address the reason why Brave can’t find it?

Hi @MBmb

That’s the right place for the brave folder :slight_smile:

We released a new version (0.19.88) late last week. Can you update to latest and see if you still see the animation (3 bouncing balls)?

Lauren

Hi Lauren, as per your advice, I have updated, but am still seeing the balls animation.
A correct-looking page is displayed for a fraction of a second (too brief for me to tell whether it’s actually correct or not) and is then replaced by the balls animation.

By the way, initially you wrote that I should find the brave folder in
/Library/Application Support
I looked there again right now and there still is no brave folder in there. However, in a later message you wrote that the correct place for the brave folder is in
/Users/(my user name)/Library/Application Support
and that’s indeed where it is.
Is this an actual issue or just a sloppy/imprecise formulation?

Anything else I should try?

Hi @MBmb

The animation issue was resolved for some users, but not all with 0.19.88, because of this we have an additional fix actively in the works, it can be tracked here: https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/11936

And my apologies, I forgot to include the leading ~ in my location (copy/paste error on my part). The leading ~ indicates /Users/(your username). So, ~/Library/Application Support/ (what I should have written) does mean /Users/(my user name)/Library/Application Support. I hope this clears up the folder location confusion for you.

Thanks,
Lauren

@MBmb - If I was able to send you directions to grab some logs, would you be interested in sharing them with me (privately is fine) so I can provide to the team for additional information on your issue?

Let me know!
Thanks,
Lauren

Same problem.

Yesterday I happened to open the preferences pane, see the new BAT payments thing and click the button to initiate it. After reading through the github issue it looks like you’re using that somehow for payment processing. When I try and visit privateinternetaccess .com in brave I get:

This site cannot be loaded due to a certificate error: https://privateinternetaccess.com/
net::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

(When I’m on my corporate VPN I don’t even get that far, I just get a “connection reset” error)

When I try and open the site in Chrome (instead of Brave) I get an OpenDNS error:

This site is blocked due to content filtering.

privateinternetaccess .com
Sorry, privateinternetaccess .com has been blocked by your network administrator.

Report an incorrect block

This site was categorized in: Proxy/Anonymizer

I’m wondering if perhaps the problem is with OpenDNS?

I don’t have time right now to figure out how to go into my router and turn off openDNS. If/when I have time I’ll try that and provide an update here…

@cmcculloh - are you on latest 0.19.95? we did find that some VPNs block PIA and made an adjustment with this issue: https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/11945 and included it in 0.19.95.

Yes. Here’s my info:

Brave: 0.19.95
rev: cc0ebadfd8950d1b5f454cb39c0c3a64028cc935
Muon: 4.5.16
libchromiumcontent: 62.0.3202.94
V8: 6.2.414.42
OS Platform: macOS
OS Release: 16.7.0

Still having this issue even after the 0.19.95 update. My info:

Name Version
Brave 0.19.95
rev cc0ebad
Muon 4.5.16
libchromiumcontent 62.0.3202.94
V8 6.2.414.42
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel Release
OS Platform macOS
OS Release 17.2.0
OS Architecture x64

@cmcculloh - so you didn’t have a BTC wallet (with a balance) prior to enabling BAT payments?

Lauren