Banking website no longer recognizing Brave and will not allow login

Can you try a new Brave profile?

I already tried that!
Thank you
I’ve had to go back to Firefox
Works perfectly!
Thanks for your help.

@crnmker , would you mind telling what banking site it is? Maybe someone else with an account can confirm or help with the issue if we knew what site it was. (Obviously don’t post your username or anything… just the site.)

@labear, same, if you can post a couple of (banking/insurance) sites maybe we can focus in on the issue.

Also, knowing what kind of error messages you’re getting may be helpful – is it saying you put in the wrong password, or is some other kind of error being thrown?

Hi, I came across something similar issue on RIA money transfer site on a page used for tracking a transfer. But, I think I found the reason too. When I change the “Block all trackers & Ads” settings from standard settings to “Allow all trackers & Ads”, it is working good. I think somehow Brave considered it as an Ad.
Link: https://www.riamoneytransfer.com/us/en/track-money-transfer

Issue: Part of page fails to load. The area that is used to ask for a tracking number is failing to load. Works good on Chrome.

After I changed the settings as above it worked good.
@crnmker and @labear , please give a try as above.

Chase (URL: https://secure03b.chase.com/web/auth/dashboard)
B of A
and many other banks.
Also Delta Dental Insurance…and many other sites.
All were fine until about 45 days ago.
The issue is I get a “Your connection is not private” screen…see screenshot attached
Then I can attempt to open using the advanced selection and accepting the Unsecure option.
But even then, many times the site in question still wont open…and takes for ever to load if/when it does load.
It insane to think that Brave would have us disable Shields or Accept all cookies…then what is the point of having Brave.

The Brave support rep did try the above Chase Bank URL and says it worked fine for him. He provided a screenshot of his Shield details and it matched mine item for item.
Your thoughts?

thanks

Hi @labear . I’m starting to wonder if this particular issue isn’t Brave-specific. Judging by the screenshot it looks like there is an actual ‘bad certificate’ problem going on.

This could be on the site’s end, but that URL seems to have a valid certificate on it for me, as well as for the Brave rep you mentioned.

So, I’m wondering if it has something to do with the fact that you’re running Windows 7 which I believe is out of support; and as a consequence, may have outdated certificate authorities installed. Or, another possibility unfortunately, is that your machine is compromised; but for it to manifest this way would be somewhat unusual.

You should get a similar error if you hit this link: https://untrusted-root.badssl.com/

I’d be interested in seeing the certificate details when you hit that error message. https://www.globalsign.com/en/blog/how-to-view-ssl-certificate-details#chrome has some instructions on how to get those details.

Hi again,
OK - Yes the untrusted-root URL did not open on Brave…got same pg as in screenshot.
And and globalsign.com URL opened just fine.
FYI - there is no recommendations for uncovering security settings, etc for Brave Browser on this page.

As for Win7 - sure, that is very possible. Though I’ve been unsupported for months and this just started 45 days ago. I have no plans to update this OS on this CPU…to old.
Though I can say this - both my Chrome & Firefox browsers are working great on this cpu and are considerably faster in loading pages compared to Brave the last 45 days.

Hmmm

thanks

That URL you gave never failed. It loaded the page pretty fast, but still after 5 min has not completed the load due to spinning graphic as you mentioned.
My Brave browser on my mobile had no issues w/ this page at all.

thanks

Bottom line is, Brave is getting what it considers an invalid certificate from the Chase site. The Globalsign link has a couple screenshots where you can see the certificate details, posting the details of the Chase certificate that is perceived by Brave might help explain why it thinks the cert is bad.

Firefox uses its own root certificates list, whereas Chrome uses the operating system’s, and I’m assuming Brave does as well, so I’m not sure why it would behave differently from Chrome… but in any case seeing the cert details I think will be important.

Feel free to shoot me a screenshot of exactly which cert details you’re looking for and I’ll pull up those same details for the Chase URL.

Thanks

If you go to the Chase site throwing the error, hit the ‘Not Secure’ button and click on ‘Certificate.’ Then if you include screenshots from the ‘General’ and ‘Certification Path’ tabs from the window that pops up, I think that will help.

Here’s an example of the Cert Path tab from the badssl page’s cert:

If you’re using Secure DNS also, turn this off. Some sites will break

Hello on the 4th of July,
I don’t expect a reply from you this weekend - ENJOY some relaxation.

As for screenshots you requested - see 4 attached files.
Once I opened the Cert screen & grabbed screenshot, I then opened the cert path and grabbed that too as requested.
But then I noticed that I could also open that for further details and screenshot 3 & 4 are that info.
In # 4 it says “This CA Root certificate is not trusted because it is not in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store.”

So does this mean I need to install this cert myself into the “trusted Cert. Auth. store”?

I also went to bankofamerica.com and read that cert error - it was pretty much the same details.

Thought?

Hey, thanks for the well-wishes, hope you had a good Independence Day as well. :slight_smile:

To the original issue, yes, so this does appear to be a more general certificate issue with your computer. Trusted root certs are supposed to be delivered automatically via Windows Update. So first, I would make sure you are getting all available updates from Windows Update. If you still have the issue, then my guess is that no more updates are being provided due to the ‘out of support’ situation with Windows 7.

If you find yourself in a dead-end due to that, then yes, you could install that individual root cert. But over time this problem will get worse and you’ll continue to play whack-a-mole. I know you said you don’t want to upgrade to Windows 10, but might be something to reconsider, even if there will be a performance degradation; the security benefits (not just because of certs, but a ton of advantages vs. Win7) would be worth the trade-off IMHO.

Hi,
I agree re " whack-a-mole" term. Though isn’t a CPU a whack-a-mole anyhow?
If I’d like to install the trusted cert myself, can you suggest any good references for me to do just that.
This is one area of CPU’s I’ve never entered over my 35+ yrs of computers.

thanks

This looks like a decent doc for importing the certificate: https://www.instructables.com/Installing-an-SSL-Certificate-in-Windows-7/

But before doing that, you’ll need to first export it, and that doc doesn’t show that part of the process. Basically you’ll just have to go to the certificate details as before (like in your screenshots), and make sure you’re viewing the highest-level cert listed there. Under the Details tab of that cert, you should have a button to save it to a file. Choose an export format (probably doesn’t matter which you use, but try the default first, and then the 2nd option if that doesn’t work later on import) to save it to, and then try the Import process from the link above.

Thank you - I’ll give that a shot.
Take care

You’re a genius.
Wow, that was a fun experience.
I was able to get pretty much all of the important sites resolved.
I still have two sites in error, one of which is a life insurance company the other is a mobile phone company both have certificates that show as either “non-trusted” or “cannot verify”. I tried installing anyhow and still sites in error.
Any thoughts if there’s anything I can do about those?
And lastly in regards to the Brave browser; can you recommend anything to resolve the “waiting for cache” browser notice (lower-left-corner) I get occasionally when moving from site to site (browser frozen waiting for that to clear)?
Is there a way to increase Brave cache allocation size, or clear more often in background after x-many sites viewed?

Thank you !

Hey, glad you’re in business!

Sorry, not sure about the ‘waiting for cache’ thing, I wonder if there is anything you could improve on the general operating system performance side of things (e.g., add memory, close other large apps, etc.) that might help… and also make sure you’re not running out of disk space.

Regarding the last two sites, it could be a similar issue with intermediate certs – in other words, a level down from the root certs you already took care of. If so, basically it’d be the same process you followed earlier, except instead of exporting/importing the top-most certificate you’d pick the next level down, and continue that all the way down until the issue is resolved. (Probably won’t be more than 1 or 2 per site.)

If that doesn’t fix it feel free to post more screenshots showing the issue in case it’s a different problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.