Bad Android UX must stop

Okay, maybe this is beating a dead hourse to a pulp, maybe is naive, and maybe even SPAM, and as such I would not complain AT ALL if you want to van me either temporarily or permanently and you are free to report me if that is your wish, I also understand the devs are busy reworking the desktop app,

But… as the desktop version of Brave is getting an overall UI & UX redesign I think the Android version should be redesigned too, specially because the new Chrome unstable versions are introducing super interesting features which Brave could use to get a facelift and by the way it could help to solve many issues people has with Chrome either in the UX or accessibility camp

For example many people using the beta and nightly version and used previous versions of it with the grid tab switcher are confused by the new simplified tab switcher which comes by default in v1.19 and v1.20, it is activated by the simplified view for open tabs option found under settings > accessibility, I would suggest you to move it to apparence and make it a part of a three way selection making the other two options the classic Chrome stack tab view and grid tab view

I totally prefer the simplified tabs but I know there are people who do not so making the option to disable it and by the way making easier to also select a view normally only delectable via flags is the wisest decision I think could be made

Other cool ideas to improve it and my suggestions are are to eliminate the black line between the navigation bar and bottom bar, use the Android Tabbed App Overflow Menu Icons and Regroup flags which would make the menu easier to read at a glance and more elegant, fix the stretched private session icon, add monochromatic symbolic icons for the exit and brave rewards menu entries, add an option in settings to remove the exit button, change the bookmark button for the experimental (and only accessible via flags) “add to” button which would make the actual bookmark button less confusing and less wasteful in its position in the button bar and more useful and instead of changing the home button for the new tab button if you disabled the home page it should completely removed and replaced with the share button which many of the people who disables the home page would find more useful, that way the people who does not use the home button will not have q dead icon bothering, and a more commonly option will be on its place

Here is how the menu icons look right now

If you like and implement my ideas you can go a step further and turn the brave rewards (or maybe the new tab) menu entry into a bottom icon row menu entry as the add to button not only is a bookmark page and read later button but it also doubles as a download page button, this way the menu would have less entries cluttering it and adding to a frustrating UX

Here is how the Add to dialogue looks

If Google is giving you tools why not using them? Why not showing your masterful, minimalist and elegant expertise in UX in mobile as you do in desktop and worst stopping your UX development on old paradigms? I know Brave is not a big team, and being based in Chromium strangles your creativity and inpeed you from doing your best, but you have the example of Vivaldi, Edge and what many consider the best Android browser Samsung Internet, and maybe you will say me how unfair I am comparing you with such huge teams as Samsung or Microsoft but please OPEN YOUR EYES Vivaldi is smaller and less experienced than you, and they have you beaten in UX design at least for Android

I am NOT asking you to do such drastic redesign, just to ask you to use the tools Chromium has given you in favor of your Android users, I kow Android is not your focus as many of your targeted demographic is the people focused on privacy and that demographic will always choose iOS, how little you care of your Android audience is clearly shown in the fact Brave today is not available yet in Android

But as a disabled man fan of Android and amateur fan of good UX design I ask for your attention, I love the browser because of the privacy it offer to its users, and I adore the possibility to set two different search engines as default for the two different browsing situations, something I wish more browsers had but I truly feel myself a little bit ignored

And if you are asking what in the world a visual change, something that will benefit the most to visual people will help to visually impaired people or people with other impairments? Let me respond you:

A lot, a cleaner UI paired with unique icons will help people find options easier and quicker to avoid eye strain and people with low mobility to reach less for a specific option, a separate tab apparence / accessibility menu will allow those who need a screen reader user to quickly switch to simplified mode, and less miss use of important space like the bottom bar will allow everyone to use Brave more efficiently

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.