Background Data

I recently installed brave browser. I opened it and as soon as I opened it I saw it was connecting to fastly CDN in the background. I have not visited any website yet using brave browser. I am wondering what data it is sending in the background and is there a way to stop it? As it is a privacy concerned browser that’s why I am asking the question. I have also included a screenshot that it’s connecting to fastly CDN in the background

Screenshot from 2020-09-16 22-00-34

not sure what those connection for

so maybe if you enabled that option
brave://settings/privacy
Automatically send completely private product analytics to Brave
or maybe
Google Safe Browsing (protects you and your device from dangerous sites) Sends URLs of some pages you visit to Google, when your security is at risk

or maybe something related to the brave reward system

but i would like to hear the answer also same as you

thanks for sharing that and have a nice day

Turning off those options did nothing. Is there anyway I can ask the developers the same question?

i will ask someone from the team to help you @Mattches

could you help us here

and have a nice day both of you :slight_smile:

@nabilkoi,
There are lots of things that may result in calls – version Update services, tracker-blocking lists, grabbing latest ad-catalogs, SafeBrowsing, etc.

These are all expected and you can even see some of the expected network requests made by Brave here:

If you want to know exactly what call is being made, you should look at the URL being requested as well (as opposed to just the IP) as this will tell you what’s being requested.

1 Like

thanks @Mattches for he info

Thanks a lot! Is there a way to see requested URL? All the traffic is encrypted

I am seeing something similar - and I have been running Brave for about 6 months now. Here is what I found:

Last night I received an email from Comcast telling me I had used 75% of my 1.2TB data limit.

This morning, less than 12 hours later - 90%

This afternoon - 100%.

Before I called Comcast to yell about there being no way I have used that much, I did a little digging. Using NetHogs, I am seeing that Brave is consistently receiving about 5MB/sec. I closed everything down, rebooted my computer, and started a fresh Brave instance - immediately it jumped to the same usage - before I even went to a web page. (The first line is my VPN - which is why it is a bit larger than the Brave process)

brave bandwidth

2004 $ ps -eaf |grep 20108                                                        
merung   20108 20078 13 14:59 ?        00:00:02 /opt/brave.com/brave/brave --type
=utility --field-trial-handle=5207069642631551181,8307081892597075190,131072 --en
able-features=PasswordImport,SimplifyHttpsIndicator,WebUIDarkMode --disable-featu
res=AllowPopupsDuringPageUnload,AudioServiceOutOfProcess,AutofillServerCommunicat
ion,LookalikeUrlNavigationSuggestionsUI,NotificationTriggers,SmsReceiver,SyncUSSB
ookmarks,UnifiedConsent,WebXR,WebXrGamepadModule --lang=en-US --service-sandbox-t
ype=network --disable-webrtc-apm-in-audio-service --service-request-channel-token
=3713480036165845103 --shared-files=v8_context_snapshot_data:100,v8_natives_data:

You can use Fiddler (on Windows) or Charles (on macOS) to inspect that traffic. Both use a root certificate on your device to decrypt the traffic, showing you the contents of the sessions. This is effectively a man-in-the-middle attack on yourself.

This is the approach I use when doing blog posts like https://brave.com/brave-tops-browser-first-run-network-traffic-results/ and https://brave.com/ios-browser-first-run/. I hope that helps!

1 Like

I am on Linux - Do you have a suggestion for that?

Thanks!

Difficult to tell what this could be; browsers download many resources for themselves, and for the pages/extensions they access and operate. It could be a tab you have opened, an extension you have loaded, or the browser trying to upset an extension, tracker list, safebrowsing database, etc. To know for sure, we’d need to inspect that traffic.

If you’re on Windows, consider Fiddler. You’ll be able to install its root certificate (for power users, please be careful) and examine the actual traffic itself. This will tell you definitively what Brave (or something loaded within Brave, like a page or extension) is doing.

1 Like

If you have a Windows PC, you can proxy your traffic through that computer, and have Fiddler running there. That will allow you to monitor the activities of the Linux machine.

Actually, Fiddler has an updated version (“Fiddler Everywhere”) which reportedly works on Linux. See their site at https://www.telerik.com/fiddler. I used Fiddler Everywhere long ago, and wasn’t a big fan. It lacks parity with the Windows version; but it could suffice for your needs.

1 Like

ssldump might work as well. not sure

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.