Aw, snap with Google web apps on 0.67.123

Description of the issue:
Google web applications (Gmail & Sheets) cause an “Aw, snap” error when out of focus. Doesn’t occur when tab remains in focus.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Unclear how to exactly to reproduce this. Gmail and Google Sheets spreadsheets are always running, crash at some point when tabs are out of focus. Issue occurs with more than one spreadsheet.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Tabs change to “Aw, snap” status at some point.

Expected result:
Tabs continue to run in background.

Reproduces how often:
At least 3x in 8 hours.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

• macOS Version 10.14.6 (18G87)
  • Brave Version 0.67.123 Chromium: 76.0.3809.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

• Issue appears to have started since updating to latest version.
  • Clearing cache doesn’t resolve the issue.
1 Like

Same here with gmail and it just started happening in the last few days.

I also see this start happening on many pages where there are embedded Youtube videos. If I have a page like this in the background and later go back to it, there are frown faces on every embedded video (mostly youtube). If I refresh the embeds appear again.

(Waiting on Protonmail to get a calendar before ditching gmail altogether, but in the meantime…).

@hamish @joshi,
Im on mobile right now so I cant test but off hand you might try clearing cache/site data for the sites in question and see if the issue persists.

@Mattches that step has been done already, as mentioned in the initial bug report.

@hamish,
Are you connected thorough a VPN when this happens? I’m also curious if you have any extensions installed in Brave.

@Mattches no VPN involved. Pocket and 1Password X are the only extensions I have installed.

@hamish,
Try disabling the extensions and relaunching to see if you get the same behavior – I don’t think either of those should be causing the issues you’re describing but its the only real difference between clearing all cache/site data and trying in a guest/new profile window (because new profile has clear cache and also doesn’t load extensions).

It will rule extensions out as the source of the issue at the very least.

@Mattches disabling the extensions didn’t seem to make a difference.

Updated to Version 0.67.124 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) today and haven’t had any further issues since the update.

That’s actually a little bit disappointing – wanted to know what was causing it!
I am glad that you don’t have to deal with it any further though.

I’m still getting the problem on occasion. It happens the most with youtube links, both on youtube and when embedded on a page, and it never happens with the window in the foreground… always in the background. This just started happening a few days before my previous post on the thread.

I’m using 0.67.124 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100