Autofill passwords missing

Preface: I opened Brave yesterday and I noticed that my appearance was reset to darkmode (windows default), when I normally had lightmode for over a year. I thought nothing of it until I went to login to a site and noticed I was logged out of it and all of my other sites. My autofill saved passwords are missing from brave://settings/passwords. However, my browsing history, saved payments, addresses, cached images, extensions (only Google translate), and bookmarks are still there.

I went into AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default and saw 4 files with the name “Login”, when I open “Login data”, it is a ~400 KB file with all of the sites I have logins on but the passwords are encrypted.

Furthermore, I went into brave://crashes/ and noticed that I had a crash on the same day but I do not know if it was before or after my passwords went missing, I sent it nontheless.

Current Brave version: v 1.50.119

I have NOT enabled Sync, or changed System User/Pass.

Please help me resolve this issue!

Please share your version of Windows (Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog, then run winver to get precise version of Windows, such as 22H2 19045.2846). Please also share the relevant uploaded crash report ID from brave://crashes/.

41dc0400-153c-ef09-0000-000000000000

Note: I do not know if it was before or after everything changed.

Windows 22H2 19045.2846 last Windows update was over 2 weeks ago.

1 Like

Okay, so I just ran a tool to extract bookmarks/cookies/downloads/extensions/history/localstorage/passwords into a .csv file in order to do recovery. I don’t know if I can link it here, so for the time-being I wont.

The tool ran and was able to extract my usernames for the sites and the sites URL which is a good start I believe, but my passwords are still missing.

:rotating_light: Please be careful with these tools. It’s entirely possible a malicious application exists to “help users extract/recover data,” and in the process send that data off to a bad actor. Only use trusted software, from reputable sources.

I’m working to better understand the issue you’re facing; hoping to have an update for you soon. Thank you for your patience :slightly_smiling_face: If you have any other crash IDs since the last time we spoke, those would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I have the same problem, my passwords disappeared for no reason
I don’t have enabled Sync , I haven’t changed settings or updated. I closed BRAVE and a few minutes later opened it again. When I opened it, I no longer had my passwords saved and all sites were disconnected.
I’m using Windows 10 and brave version 1.50.119

@JoaoRosa, do you have any anti-virus software running? We’re investigating a few reports regarding missing data, and I’m starting to wonder if there is potential for a third-party application (or more than one) to be involved. Your feedback is appreciated.

@sampson , I’ve been using avast for a few years, but I’ve never had problems like this.

@JoaoRosa I know he said just ruling it but I did want to show that even though you haven’t had issues doesn’t mean Avast hasn’t caused problems. For example: Why does my Brave crash every like 2 weeks and unlogs me from every website? - #6 by WindowOpener

Just wanted to add, I do have MalwareBytes installed but I don’t use it at all, my default is Windows Defender. Any ETA for a fix?

EDIT: Would like to add MalwareBytes updated 4/15/2023 about a day or two before this happened and it found no threats, to my knowledge MalwareBytes (the free version I have) doesn’t do anything like CCleaner where it deletes temporary files, I do not have CCleaner installed whatsoever. Would also like to add that I did not have any profile set and all of my information for the “Login Data” .sql file is under the folder named “Default”.

Ok guys thanks for your answers
But is there any way to recover my lost passwords?

Hello, all! Thank you for your patience. Our team is actively investigating this issue, aiming to achieve a better understanding of what could potential explain the data loss.

There are subtle variations between user reports which further complicate this effort. I do hope to have an update for you soon, but wanted to thank you all again for your patience in the meantime.

Check that autofill is enabled in your browser settings. Depending on the browser, you may need to go to the settings menu and then to the autofill section to turn it on.

Nice advertisement/scam, bot.

Any updates? This is just ridiculous!!!

@Mattches @Saoiray cc

I got on Brave earlier today and had all my saved passwords and sites I closed Brave and came back a couple of hours later and all my passwords an site are missing and I also had to reset up Brave Rewards @Mattches @Saoiray

@czx Just so you know, I’ve been in contact with Brendan Eich, Brian Clifton, and Sampson on this matter. Today I heard back from some in a DM and from Sampson openly on Twitter. Essentially it comes down to this:

They don’t have a timeline for when they will be able to have answers for anyone. It could be days, weeks, or months. All they can advise is that they are actively collecting data and investigating.

In my words, the damage is done and there’s no recovering it. It stinks and I think everyone wishes there was more to be able to say or do in this moment. About the only thing anyone can do is apologize for the inconvenience and to request your patience and participation. If you’re able to provide any information you think might be of assistance in getting this resolved, then it would be appreciated.

That said, I don’t think anyone is going to be able to promise you any updates or responses as fast as you would like them. However, I can promise that they are tracking and investigating. It’s just tricky when many people have different origins. It would be nice if it was just a “it happened through auto update” and they could review code to discover the problem. But instead extensions, third party programs, and other things are all playing a role.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.