AutoFill not working reliably with Bitwarden or Keepass2Android

Apologies for the topic closing everyone – I’ve reopend it for further discussion. Speaking of which, when testing I came across this particular notice from the KP2A devs:

@Mattches, yes I saw that notification too. Although the methodology has changed (requiring this plugin), the functionality is supposed to be the same. Right now, if I launch Firefox on my phone and go to a webpage with a login page, I click on a field and it autofills with KP2A (after my 3 character quick password). With Brave, it just doesn’t work (if I click on the username entry field, a popup does not come up and if I click on autofill from the Android top drop-down it tries to use the app name (Brave browser) instead of the webpage URL).

Hi @XDptguOE , I also had the same issue on my phone with Bitwarden Password manager. Then I talked to Bitwarden support team about the same and they sent me a mail. Here’s a screenshot. I think this will help to resolve the autofill issue.

@Ujas, I did these recommendations on my Jul 31 post. Bitwarden did indeed seem to work after all that. However Keepass did not.

I also have this issue. When trying to fill from Bitwarden it tries to match against “com.brave.browser” most of the time. Sometimes it will work and search for the website url.

Oddly, I have much more luck going through Lynket custom tab app. If I open a link from email in Lynket, with the browser backend provided by Brave, it seems to always fetch the correct url to match.

1 Like

@Kallb123 Even though I had Quora login page opened in Brave (for Android), my password manager was matching against “com.brave.browser.” and not quora.com. It is not working properly with password managers (Kind of Hit-or-miss). This didn’t happened in Chrome. @BraveSoftware, please fix this problem ASAP.

Edit: Those who are facing above issues in Brave for Android, please update to the latest version (Brave 1.4.0). Now it seems to work fine.

Still not working for me with keepass2android (brave 1.4.2).
I have just set keepass2android as my AutoFill provider at system level.
This is enough for Firefox to work properly, but with Brave still can’t get any popups for autofilling credentials.
According to what other users said in previous comments, I think that brave is sending the wrong data in the API call (i.e. brave’s package instead of the current URL).

Could the DEVs please check this?
It’s quite frustrating and seems an easy fix to me.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know this is an old thread, but I still have the exact same behaviour as described above - Brave on Android only seems to deliver Brave as the app name, no URL, so in my case Enpass cannot find the appropriate entries for the given website. I sure as h*ll would love to carry on using Brave on Android, but it bugs me a lot :(. Did I solve for everyone else?

Due to this issue and the Brave Sync issues and recommendations from privacytools.io, I’m using Firefox. I also decided to switch to Bitwarden instead of Keepass. I’m much happier with this combination.

Still seeing the same issue on the latest Android + Brave

Hi,

Almost 2 years later but I have a very similar situation, like XDptguOE wrote before:

Right now, if I launch Firefox on my phone and go to a webpage with a login page, I click on a field and it autofills with KP2A (after my 3 character quick password). With Brave, it just doesn’t work (if I click on the username entry field, a popup does not come up and if I click on autofill from the Android top drop-down it tries to use the app name (Brave browser, “com.brave.browser”) instead of the webpage URL).

In my case I must say that I’m using GrapheneOS but with Firefox and the default browser Vanadium the autofill is working perfectly. Any news on this issue regarding Brave?

Best regards,
Peter.

1 Like

Same issue here :
Pixel 4A on Android 13 GrapheneOS.
Autofill from KeepassDX does not work on Brave (main, beta or nightly) but it does work on Vanadium.

Thanks for the help !

This issue still exists. In fact, it’s actually creeping into the DESKTOP Brave Browser, as of this last month or so. I admire Brave’s developers for the safety and security features, but they really need to back their concerns for security by making sure important security add-ons like Bitwarden work at all times.

We don’t modify any autofill features/functions in Brave, its just default chromium here. I use Bitwarden here too (premium user). And some sites won’t autofill because of site design or the extension.

I get that it’s vanilla Chromium, and I use Chromium, but the way a browser reads a web page plays a vital role in whether add-ons can actually access needed content. I’m assuming that the protective measures in Brave are the reason Bitwarden actually fails less often in Chromium, but it would be nice to have it officially looked into.