Auto include feature in payments not applied consistently

Below are several related issues. No specific sequence of events seems to (re)produce these issues.

(1) On the browser payments tab websites are sometimes “auto included” when the auto include button is disabled/grey. This seems to happen when the button has been toggled one or more times since the browser was launched. Closing the browser seems to temporarily fix the problem, but the issue randomly reappears when toggling the button is mixed with opening tabs to various sites.

(2) The state of websites sometimes changes from “not included” to “included”, for no apparent reason. Visit a website, observe “not included” state on payments page. Switch tabs and do other stuff, then later observe the website change to “included” state on payments page.

(3) Websites in a “not included” state changed to an “included” state when the browser was restarted. This happened several times, at random, with random websites.

All of the observed unsolicited changes were from “not included” to “included”. There were no observed instances of an unsolicited change from “included” to “not included”. Also note (1) and (2) occurred when two browser windows were open side by side. One window showed the payments tab, the second window was used to browse various web sites. This suggests a synch issue between threads.

Related feature requests for the payments page: Add “export/import payments settings” buttons, so users can move their payments settings between devices. Add a “delete all not included” button. Add a “delete all included” button.

Name Version
Brave 0.19.134
rev 316cfa5
Muon 4.5.38
libchromiumcontent 63.0.3239.132
V8 6.3.292.49
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel Release
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
OS Release 10.0.16299
OS Architecture x64

Hi @braveuser

I’m going to investigate 1&2, but regarding 3, do you clear any data on browser exit (under about:preferences#security)? If so, I think you might be running into this: https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/6708

Thanks,
Lauren

I have Brave set to delete everything except “Saved site settings and permissions”. None of other selections appears as if they affect payment information. Despite the free BAT, I disabled payments again because the functionality appears buggy. This issue made me concerned there may be associated privacy leaks.

Another separate issue… In July 2016 I was using an eight year old I7-870 based Windows 10 PC sporting a mechanical HDD. Brave was extremely slow to launch, as in 2-5 seconds. The problem was exacerbated when any bookmarks were created. Chrome, Firefox, Edge all launched quickly. In August 2016 I upgraded to a I7-7700K with a pcie based ssd. Brave launches reasonably fast on the new machine, not great but OK. My guess is the development team is using “fast” machines and is not testing on older systems. That’s fine, except some people won’t use Brave due to this issue, and the Brave team won’t know they are missing potential customers. When Chrome, Firefox, Edge all launch quickly, Brave should too, otherwise people will dump Brave. If I get time I will fire up my old PC and see if this is still a problem. However the Brave team should have little problem figuring this out, assuming anyone has an older HDD based system.

I have the very similar issues with several sites. It all appears to happen at random. In regard to 3 I have nothing set to be cleared automatically.

Brave: 0.19.147
rev: f1b90a3
Muon: 4.7.6
libchromiumcontent: 64.0.3282.119
V8: 6.4.388.40
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
OS Release: 10.0.16299
OS Architecture: x64

@braveuser and @knapp

Does this sound like what you’re encountering? https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/12766

Lauren

That exact thing has not happend to me, because I never turned off auto-include.
What’s most annoying is that brave does not include some sites that I visit often, verified and non-verified sites alike. It only remembers the last visit to some sites.

Yes #12766 is similar. It is not exactly the same, because I didn’t notice the issue 100% of the time. Sometimes auto include(or not) appeared to function as one would expect.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.