Auto-contribute stuck at "Stopped retrying"

Briefly describe your issue:

When I look at brave://rewards-internals, I see that one of my auto-contributions has been stuck in the “Stopped retrying” step.

I have 5 BAT set up to auto-contribute monthly, and in December 2021 it’s definitely been deducted from my balance — I can see that deduction on Uphold​.​com: under Recent Activity it says “You sent 5.00 BAT to @​BravePublishers”.

However, this doesn’t appear in the Wallet Activity on the Brave Rewards page (brave://rewards). When I click “View statement”, under December 2021 Auto-Contribute it says “No activities yet…”. Also, there’s no indication that any of the recipients received the 5 BAT. I know this because I’m also a Brave Creator, and one of my own channels was among the list of recipients, and it didn’t receive part of the contribution!

Did I just lose 5 BAT? Or will the auto-contribute retry again? Or if it fails, will the 5 BAT be deposited back into my Brave Rewards account? If this system is as finicky and buggy as it seems, I’ll just stop using Auto-Contribute as it’s not worth the risk.

Attached is a screenshot of my last transaction. Here’s the relevant info:

Created at: 12/23/2021, 01:36:49 AM

Type: Auto Contribute

Amount: 5 BAT

Step: Stopped retrying

Retry Count: -1

Processor: Uphold Wallet

What Operating System and Brave version are you using (Menu --> About Brave)?
Brave: Version 1.33.106 Chromium: 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Is your browser wallet currently verified? (yes/no):
Yes.

What date did you verify your wallet?
6 December 2021 (2021-12-06).

Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past?
Yes, but this is the first time I’ve had trouble since verifying my Uphold wallet.

Are you using a VPN? (yes/no)
No.

Are you in a supported region (see here for list of supported regions)?
Yes.

Does your device pass the SafteyNet check (Android only)?
N/A (not Android).

Have you manually turned off Auto-contribute on all of your devices linked to Uphold??
No.

@hrvbrs,
Thank you for reaching out. I’ve forwarded your report to the Rewards team and will reply back when I have more information.

Appreciate your patience.

@mattches, Thanks for responding. Has there been any progress on this?

I’m still seeing “Step: Stopped retrying” on the brave://rewards-internals page for the Dec 23 transaction, yet no indication of the transaction in the statements on the brave://rewards page.

Also, FYI, the Jan 23 transaction (just recently) went through flawlessly, and I can see it in the statements. On the rewards-internals page, it says “Step: Completed”.

I want to keep this issue from automatically closing as it hasn’t been resolved yet.

So sorry for the long wait time on this. I believe we have submitted a fix for this in v1.35x — please ensure you update your device to the latest build and check to see if these AC payments go through properly.

Sorry @Mattches , I updated my browser to v1.35.100 and my OS to the latest version and I don’t see any changes. The transaction is still stuck on “Stopped retrying” and it doesn’t appear in the December 2021 statement. I also haven’t received anything on my Creators account.

bumping this to keep open

@hrvbrs Hi :slightly_smiling_face:

Just curious…

Do you still have this issue or did one of the recent version updates correct the problem?

The issue has not been resolved. I upgraded Brave to the latest version (Version 1.36.112 Chromium: 99.0.4844.51 (Official Build) (x86_64)) and have not seen any changes.

Under my December 2021 statement on the Brave Rewards page, it does not list any auto-contributions, and on the rewards-internal page, the transaction still says “Stopped Retrying" (see my screenshot above). I have also not received anything on my Brave Creators account at that time.

However, in my Uphold activity log, it says I sent 5.00 BAT to @​BravePublishers (Brave Software International). It seems as if Brave just took the 5.00 BAT and didn’t contribute it to the creators’ accounts.

Thank-you for the update. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m going to tag @Mattches again and see if he can take another look. Hopefully he can figure it out on the backend!

You should not be tipping your own Creator account — it will get your Creator account flagged. Can you please send me a DM with your wallet payment ID as well as the email associated with your Creators account?

Quoting DM from @chriscat below. Will mark as ‘Solution’ once I can verify this works.

We have a fix that will go in and basically restart these Auto-Contributes again. (It will not deduct any additional BAT from you; it will just start “retrying” these stuck Auto-Contributes at the step where it disburses the BAT you’ve already sent to @BravePublishers to the various creators—in this case, your channels.) It’s being actively tested right now, so it’ll make its way into the browser in the near future.

You can see all our active progress here: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/20377

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.