Auto closing when downloading anything

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. When I go to download any file from any site it comes up with the box to choose where to save and then close the box and does not download anything.
  2. This is on windows 10 and latest version of brave
    3.I have used other browsers and all works fine with them

Any help would be great on what is causing this issue

1 Like

Hello @Hardmaninc

close brave and make sure it does not work in the background from your task manager
then right click on brave icon then run as administrator if it work fine then you have issue with permission

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @justsomeone1 ,
I have been having the exact same issue as OP, but it started out of the blue today 4/19. Running as administrator fixes the problem, but how do I adjust permissions to fix permanently? I didn’t change any settings from yesterday to today and I’ve been using Brave just fine for several weeks up until today. Would appreciate the next step if you can advise. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @yesdiggityactually

let me mention @Mattches to confirm that if you uninstall brave without deleting your profile data and reinstall it that you would not lose any of your setting or configuration or BAT

and you very welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is correct – as long as your profile data is intact you should be fine but you may end up using another device slot for verified Uphold users.

@Hardmaninc,
Can you share a link to a file where you see this behavior? Further, do you have any extensions installed in the browser at this time?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply it seems to be any website i have even tried from my own google drive. I am going to do a reinstall of it later today but ensure i have a back up of my profile 1st and then see what happens

Thanks

1 Like

As this issue didn’t start until a couple of days ago, any chance that Brave will actually just put out an update to fix this issue, instead of having a bunch of workarounds? Even running as administrator only sporadically works to allow downloads without auto-closing before I can save the file. I’m having to use an entirely separate browser just to get through my work day.

@Hardmaninc,
I’m wondering if whatever is causing this issue is being captured in Console output. Can you please try the following for me?

1. Visit a site where you’ve seen this issue occur before in Brave.
  2. Open the dev tools window (Menu --> More tools > Developer tools or ctrl + shift + i) and select the Console tab.
  3. Now attempt to download a file from the site.
  4. When you do, after the issue occurs and the dialog box closes as you describe, bring up the dev tools window and take a screenshot of any output you see here and share it in this thread.
1 Like

I have the same issue. The only way I’ve found to get around it is to turn off User Account Controls in Windows 10.

@Mattches Hi! I followed your instructions to use the Console output. Ironically, Brave bookmarks is my example as I am trying to export my bookmarks to an html file so I can stop using this browser since I can’t download anything…

Here is my screenshot after the failed download and the dialogue box closing. Would love some feedback! Oh wait, I can’t upload the screenshot because the dialogue box keeps closing… Let me switch over a functioning browser so I can add the screenshot.

Ok, let’s try again:
Screenshot 2021-04-29 100121

Just for a second example, here is the same data after trying on another website (every website is affected):Screenshot 2021-04-29 100852

One more for good measure:
Screenshot 2021-04-29 101103

And again, only Brave browser is an issue. Firefox and Edge (barf) work just fine. Would love a fix if someone has one! Running as administrator does not solve the issue.

@Mattches oh, I also see you previously asked Hardmaninc about browser extensions. I have the following extensions installed on both Brave and Firefox, but only having issues with Brave.
-1Password
-Pinterest save button
-Rakuten
-uBlock Origin (turning this off doesn’t solve the download issue)

Sorry I removed all my extensions and it was still an issue

I’ve reached out to a couple of our devs for more information on this. In the interim, for those interested, it could be useful to try testing the behavior on a new browser profile and see if the results are the same.

1 Like

Where is the download folder? I’m just using the default windows download directory here

Just downloading from https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader (for example)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.