Asda.com with shields up blocks Monzo payment authorisation leading to timeout

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
I cannot complete purchasing groceries from asda.com using my monzo account with the Brave Shield up. When I try to complete a purchase, the Monzo payment authenticator box will pop up asking me to authorise the payment on my phone. A notification appears on my phone also. However, once I authorise it on my phone the website does not receive that confirmation and will eventually time out.

I think the issue is Brave’s ad blocking. When I have the blocking turned on I can see block 56 items on the Asda site. When I click “order” the monzo authorise box pops up and the number of blocked items increases to 57. The additional item blocked is this site:

https://js.sentry-cdn.com/6d7c4b98be84475383025b83113480b3.min.js

I hypothesise this is involved to passing on my confirmation of purchase back to asda.com. When I disable the ad blocking in Brave asda.com receives my confirmation as it should. I have also tried enabling cookies and allowing fingerprinting, but the site still times out and doesn’t not receive the confirmation I have sent.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Put shield up
  2. Order groceries to be delivered from asda.com
  3. try to pay using monzo
  4. fail
  5. put shield down
  6. repeat steps 2 & 3
  7. succeed

Expected result:

Once confirmation of purchase is given via the Monzo app on my phone I would expect a very fast webpage update confirming my order.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.27.108 Chromium: 92.0.4515.107 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

This is the first bug report here I have raised (I joined to submit this). Please let me know if I have done something wrong or you need more informatiuon.

1 Like

I have the same issue using Brave and Monzo in iOS when purchasing online.

1 Like

If you add @@||js.sentry-cdn.com^$domain=asda.com into brave://adblock (then refresh the asda page), does it help? @DanD

From what I understand Monzo fixed this on their side @Girlfrommars @DanD

Hey thanks for coming back to me. I have just tested this and yes it seems Monzo has done something their end so adding the entry to adblock wasn’t needed. I think this can now be considered closed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.