APPDATA does not seem to have my passwords or bookmarks

Description of the issue:

I had to reinstall windows 10, saved appdata (local/locallow/roaming) from previous install. After installing windows, drivers, updates, I copy and pasted APPDATA across and then installed most of my usual software. Open Brave to find all my bookmarks/passwords/settings did not seem to be there. No bookmarks along the top, no passwords saved from sites I visit.

P.S. I have tried to copy the previous folder called Brave from the previous windows APPDATA a few times after installing Brave, but unfortunately I still did not have bookmarks/passwords/settings from previous windows installation of Brave.

P.P.S. My Documents folder is saved on an additional HDD, so anything that was stored there would still be there.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Reinstall windows/drivers/software and copy/paste APPDATA across to new install of windows.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

I expected to have my Bookmarks, Passwords, last viewed/history, and settings available to me after reinstalling windows.

Reproduces how often:

Once as I do not install windows that often, this is possibly the first time I have reinstalled windows in a year or two.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Windows 10, Brave Version 0.66.99 Chromium: 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

I still have APPDATA saved from previous installation of Windows, but it does not seem to help. As a quick fix I have imported bookmarks from another browser I keep up to date with bookmarks, but the real pain is not having passwords as I make very long complicated ones and do not write them down.

This probably does not contain the required data.

By the way, I can’t imagine that sensitive data like passwords can just be copied.

This is the process you are meant to do, I have read all the pages/replies about this problem. As for passwords, they should be stored locally, so they must be accessible to the browser somehow.

Thank you for your reply. :slight_smile:

Are you talking about how you copy the data? Don’t forget that Brave, unlike Chrome, could handle it differently. Did you read about Brave or e.g. about Google Chrome?

I’m sure they are. But you could use your desired method to copy the Brave folder from a foreign PC, “install” it on your PC and read out all the passwords via “Saved passwords” (if I’m right, I only used “Show password” once in Chrome).

This can end very badly, and I hope the Brave authors didn’t allow it. :roll_eyes::neutral_face:

Chrome! I’m sure I’m more green than cabbage looking! I would not touch anything Google related (Even installing Brave took a lot of research to make sure it was not from that alphabet soup group of Muppets).

So Yes, the only information I have searched about how to regain my Bookmarks/Passwords etc etc has been via this here community. As for encryption of the file/folder that could be done in any number of ways that directly link it to the PC you are using. Nothing is every 100% safe, but you could use the CPU/MOBO etc id or a combination. But that is taking me away from the problem at hand.

I have the APPDATA that is supposedly what is needed and yet I am not getting that process to work out and I would like to find a resolution or at the least a more robust way to save these files/folders for future reference. I do not mind saving certain folders/files at weekly/monthly intervals to be on the safe side if there is ever a catastrophic failure. :wink:

Thank you once again for your reply. I hope your day is a beautiful as mine. :smiley:

1 Like

Is there an Admin/Mod who can clarify where all the relevant information is saved (passwords/bookmarks etc) I’m sure others would like to be able to save these files/folders.

Thank you for any help offered.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.