Apk files downloaded using brave on android 10 doesnt install

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue: apk files downloaded using latest brave browser 1.4.2 on android 10 neither show up in storage nor it install. error msg comes “cant open file”

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. using brave browser go to apkmirror.com
  2. download any .apk file
  3. download will complete with “open” dialog box but when you open it to install says “cant open file”.
  4. you may also go to downloads folder in storage but it doesnt show up.

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave): 1.4.2

Mobile Device details oneplus 6 running android 10 oxygen os 10 beta1

Additional Information:

@oneplusdroid,
You may need to allow .apk files to be downloaded/installed from “unknown source” on your device before you can run the installation.

On your device, go to System settings --> Security --> Install unknown apps – note that this path may be different depending on what device you have. From here, you should be shown a list of apps in which this permissions. I assume you downloaded the app to a folder stored on your device, so I would recommend finding the My files (or whatever it may be called on your device) app and granting it permission to install apps from unknown sources.

After allowing it, open the My files app on your phone, find the .apk and try installing again.
Let me know if this works for you.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.