Announcing Privacy Preserving Product Analytics!

We would like to announce Privacy Preserving Product Analytics, a new way to gain insight into product use, while insuring the privacy of individual users.

The full details are in this blog post, please give it a read!

https://brave.com/privacy-preserving-product-analytics-p3a/

From the post :

We believe that completely private product analytics are the most effective way for us to make Brave the best it can be — by providing us with insights into how the various features of the product are actually being used, so we can shape the product to better match the needs of our users. As always, our code is open source and available for third-party audits and verification.

For those of you particularly interested in the code, the pull request is here:

6 Likes

About a week ago (16 Aug 2019), Ars Technica published this article: Kaspersky AV injected unique ID that allowed sites to track users, even in incognito mode

The subject of the article — for almost 4 years, Kaspersky Labs’ anti-virus product injected code that uniquely identified users enabling website operators to track them — addresses the same concerns as Brave’s Privacy Preserving Product Analytics.

The Ars Technica article includes a link to 13 Feb 2017 article: Now sites can fingerprint you online even when you use multiple browsers

This second article includes two available tools with which browser users can check how vulnerable their browsers are to being uniquely identified. The first is Panopticlick from the Electronic Frontier Foundation. I’m not including a link to the second tool “UniqueMachine” because my experience with it raised a red flag: it requires Flash which itself is a known security risk. (Flash hasn’t been on any of my machines for many years.) If you’re interested, read the 13 Feb 2017 Ars article for details.

Using “Panopticlick”, I checked browsers installed on my desktop. Bottom line: Brave scores very well.

2 Likes

If this is as it promises I am excited. This article in the NYT shows how much of a farce “anonymised” or “de-identified” data sets can be. This new approach by the Brave team seems to address many (all?) of the concerns that that the article brings up. I would be very curious to see third parties/academics take a look at this software.

1 Like

nice thanks is very gr8 idea!