Android Brave: insertion of PGP

Are you about to suggest we add something or alter something to Brave? Don’t just tell us what you want - a lot of people want a lot of things. Instead, state your requested feature and state your case for why it should be seriously considered. You’re much more likely to get feedback from the team this way.
Please delete the text above the line before posting

Webmail seems fairly ubiquitous and a great deal of the free email operators
are making the bulk of their income from selling access to people’s email to both third party
operators (marketing companies) as well as intelligence services, at the very least it would
Be preferential, if I was working via webmail access via Brave, to have a PGP key generator and
retrieval tool built in to the back end that could register when I was in Gmail or Yahoo etc etc.
I have tried to get access to the Chrome webstore without luck (if there is a work around, I’m unaware of it) and I wanted to try to load MailVelope or the FlowCrypt extension for that purpose.
I understand that less is more. A further extension may provide the means of a hole or surface area
that allows for insertion of code. So if it cannot work I understand. Cheers. And thank you for Brave.
I must have used or tried 30 or 40+ alleged privacy browsers, but this fits my parameters more closely than any others.

1 Like

This isn’t really a solution but you might want to give protonmail a look it has pgp encryption built in. It’s all encrypted anyway but you can encrypt the body of your message with other keys

I tried to install Mailvelope in Brave and it doesn’t work. But it works fine for me in Chrome. So I don’t understand what’s the difference unless Brave is preventing it for privacy reasons.

1 Like

Piping in late, but… Mailvelope does work for me under Brave for the Mac, except that under macOS Big Sur Beta I don’t seem to get Mailvelope to ‘see’ the underlying GnuPG framework. But uploading the keys via the included OpenPGP.js component will certainly work…

I guess that this is not helpful for Android users, but… Brave has rolled out many releases since the original message! :slight_smile:

Replying to myself: it’s not obvious, but the required manifest file has to be placed under ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts (if you don’t have Google Chrome installed, you’ll have to create the appropriate directories), and not under ~/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/NativeMessaging as expected.

Maybe this is hard-coded in Mailvelope.