"Always request desktop website" feature no longer works on numerous websites

Description of the issue:

A lot of sites serve mobile version, while Desktop mode is enabled globally for all sites ( Settings -> Site settings -> Desktop Mode). For sites which load mobile version Desktop mode checkbox is active (three vertical dots in lower right corner -> desktop mode) meaning Desktop veersion should be served, but that`s not happening.

Affected websites include, but not limited to 4pda.ru ; rbc.ru ; android.stackexchange.com (SE subdomains not the original site)

Hiding Brave to background and reopening works as one-time remedy for the page.
Also switching Desktop mode via page checkbox (three vertical dots in lower right corner -> desktop mode) off and on makes correct version to be served (desktop version).

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Enable serve Desktop globally for all sites ( Settings -> Site settings -> Desktop Mode)
  2. Create new empty tab
  3. Type one of the affected websites URL (4pda.ru for example)
  4. Mobile version is served initially

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Before temporal remedy (minimizing\maximizing Brave or reloading Desktop mode)

Expected result:

Site should be opened in desktop mode right away without need for additonal actions.

After temporal remedy (minimizing\maximizing Brave or reloading Desktop mode)

Reproduces how often:

Issue reproduced every time for affected websites

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Google Play latest version
Testes on two ARM phones:
Android 8.0.0 Lg v30+
Android 9 Oneplus 7 Pro
Latest Brave 1.2.0 Chromium 76.0.3809.111 (but the bug has beed around for a while)

Additional Information:
I have made simular ticket github com/brave/browser-android-tabs/issues/1998 but I am not sure if you check postings happening on github made by regular users, so I also submitted it here.

Related bug:
github com /brave/browser-android-tabs/issues/740
This bug is related, but different in a sense that issue 740 depicts case when sites dont open Desktop version at all and my ticket raises situation when Brave is capable of opening Desktop verson and does so but only after additional external user input.

Related ticket:
github com /brave/browser-android-tabs/issues/124

I would like to add that brave.com is within the list of sites afftected by this bug. Screenshots to the left is before applying manual fix.

@kirilloffs,
Thanks for reaching out to us with this.
I’ll take a look on my end – have you tried clearing your browser cache or, at least, cleared cache data for these sites? If not, I’d recommend trying that in the interim to see if this helps the issue at all.

Thanks for suggestions.
Unfortunately it didn`t help. Additionally I have tried re-installation of brave and I have noticed curious behavior. On a clean browser (except always request desktop mode turned on) first tab loads as it should - right away in desktop mode. All others 2nd, 3rd and etc are facing the same bug (are loaded in mobile version) that I have described above.

@kirilloffs,
To confirm – you’re setting the “desktop mode” for sites inSettings --> Site Settings --> Desktop Mode, correct?

When you visit a site and view it in desktop mode (by any means) do the sites appear in this list? Additionally, this option is toggled on, correct?

To confirm – you’re setting the “desktop mode” for sites inSettings --> Site Settings --> Desktop Mode, correct?

Yes

Additionally, this option is toggled on, correct?
It is toggled On

Yes

When you visit a site and view it in desktop mode (by any means) do the sites appear in this list?

I don`t quite get it what kind of list are you talking about. If you are talking about list of sites that experience this issue, than yes.

I have made recording showing the bug on a freshly installed browser. Pay attention to 2nd, 3rd, 4th tabs (tab number one is loaded as it should).

@kirilloffs,
I see that you’ve opened a Github issue for this which is exactly what I came here to do. Way to be proactive! I’ll reply in the thread and see if we can get some dev eyes on the issue.