Always crashes after screen sharing on Google Meet, Whereby, Microsoft Teams

Description of the issue:
Brave crashes for me after sharing my screen on a Google Meet or Whereby call. I can share my screen fine, but then when I click the “Stop sharing” button it will crash. As I say, this happens on three separate platforms - Google Meet, Whereby & Microsoft Teams. All in-browser.

Screen recording:

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Join a Google Meet call
  2. Share your screen, click about a bit.
  3. Click stop sharing.
  4. Brave crashes

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.26.67 Chromium: 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (arm64)

Additional Information:

Hey @user932493294 ! Welcome to the community :smiley:

Are you trying to share your whole screen or specifically the Brave app?

What OS and device are you using?

Porridge

1 Like

@GreenBananaPorridge

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)
macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91)

Great question—I believe recently I’ve only been sharing a window, of the Brave browser. Although I can probably test sharing full screen and seeing if it crashes too.

@GreenBananaPorridge Here’s a screen recording showing the issue when sharing a Brave window:

Here’s another video where I share the whole screen, which seems to work okay:

1 Like

Hey @user932493294 !

Sorry for the delayed reply/ Thank you for providing a video of the issue! It appears as if your browser is running out of memory when you are doing the screen-share; can you try doing the screenshare on a completely fresh launch of Brave? (i.e close all windows and background applications)

Thank you!

Porridge

Happened to me as well. After restarting computer, it worked fine for a while, then crashed again when stop screen-sharing.

Since restarting, clearing caches etc I haven’t experienced it since. Maybe it was a memory issue. But it seems like @happ has experienced this too.

1 Like

I’m experiencing this issue as well - as it happened to me multiple times during work meetings I am switching back to Chrome until there is a permanent fix…

It’s fine if there are hardly any tabs open - so it does sound like it could be a memory issue.

However, it happens so frequently now it’s making me want to go back to Chrome. I’m not sure why it’s different with Chrome?

Thanks.

1 Like

If you guys are experiencing this issue, can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration to see if you still experience issues?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Porridge