Always crashes after screen sharing on Google Meet, Whereby, Microsoft Teams

Description of the issue:
Brave crashes for me after sharing my screen on a Google Meet or Whereby call. I can share my screen fine, but then when I click the “Stop sharing” button it will crash. As I say, this happens on three separate platforms - Google Meet, Whereby & Microsoft Teams. All in-browser.

Screen recording:

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Join a Google Meet call
  2. Share your screen, click about a bit.
  3. Click stop sharing.
  4. Brave crashes

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.26.67 Chromium: 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (arm64)

Additional Information:

2 Likes

Hey @user932493294 ! Welcome to the community :smiley:

Are you trying to share your whole screen or specifically the Brave app?

What OS and device are you using?

Porridge

1 Like

@GreenBananaPorridge

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)
macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91)

Great question—I believe recently I’ve only been sharing a window, of the Brave browser. Although I can probably test sharing full screen and seeing if it crashes too.

@GreenBananaPorridge Here’s a screen recording showing the issue when sharing a Brave window:

Here’s another video where I share the whole screen, which seems to work okay:

1 Like

Hey @user932493294 !

Sorry for the delayed reply/ Thank you for providing a video of the issue! It appears as if your browser is running out of memory when you are doing the screen-share; can you try doing the screenshare on a completely fresh launch of Brave? (i.e close all windows and background applications)

Thank you!

Porridge

Happened to me as well. After restarting computer, it worked fine for a while, then crashed again when stop screen-sharing.

Since restarting, clearing caches etc I haven’t experienced it since. Maybe it was a memory issue. But it seems like @happ has experienced this too.

1 Like

I’m experiencing this issue as well - as it happened to me multiple times during work meetings I am switching back to Chrome until there is a permanent fix…

It’s fine if there are hardly any tabs open - so it does sound like it could be a memory issue.

However, it happens so frequently now it’s making me want to go back to Chrome. I’m not sure why it’s different with Chrome?

Thanks.

1 Like

If you guys are experiencing this issue, can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration to see if you still experience issues?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Porridge

Wondering if anyone still facing issue. For sure chrome is not alternative for Brave once you start using it. However this issue is very annoying specifically when it happens during customer meeting.

Thanks, I’m testing this now as I keep facing the issue.

If it does work I’m still not sure it’s the right solution. This issue doesn’t occur in Chrome, and even in Brave it’s only when sharing a window, not full screen? Very odd.

Exacto same issue here, MacBook Pro 16GB, everything updated.

Same here. MacBook Pro 16GB with Big Sur… Is this issue limited mac only?

Guys could you check for crash ID’s over here → brave://crashes ?

Also, did you try @GreenBananaPorridge’s suggestion to disable Hardware Acceleration ?

Here’s a recent one: 18f21500-d3e0-c006-0000-000000000000

I have turned hardware acceleration off for now, but I’m also actively avoiding sharing windows as I can’t keep crashing during important meetings. Never had this issue with Chrome with hardware acceleration enabled :man_shrugging:

Thanks.

Yeah, I understand your concerns. Can you perform the same steps as in the videos you provided above, just to check whether disabling Hardware Acceleration has an impact?

Hardware Acceleration in Brave causes a lot of troubles for some reason, unfortunately.

Seems many are facing issue but no resolution sofar.

Yes I can confirm it still happens even with hardware acceleration disabled. And only when sharing a Window, not a full screen.

Can confirm this on my end as well. I have to use Google Chrome anytime I use Google Meet which is pretty annoying.