ALT-NumPad with NumLock off sends Brave in unintended, unwanted, and unexpected directions

Description of the issue:

Using the ALT-NumPad to enter extended character in a text field, if the NumLock light is off, causes Brave to behave in unwanted, unexpected ways. Apparently, Brave is trying to interpret key sequences that are intended to enter characters as commands to tell Brave to do entirely other things.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

You can do this, here, in this thread. Start by trying to reply to this very message. Make sure that NumLock is off, then, while holding the ALT key down, type 0176 on the numeric keypad.

What should happen, is that a degree symbol ° should be entered into the reply.

Now, what really happened, not that at all, not anything you expected to happen, or wanted to happen, right?

If NumLock is on, then Brave behaves normally, responding to that key sequence by entering the intended character.

Some character enter correctly, even with NumLock off, and some do not. I picked Alt-° as a specific example of one that doe snot, that produces a very wrong result when I try to enter it.

It works correctly, in the address bar, but not in a text field, such as the one in which you would write a posting on a forum such as this.

I’ve tested this on a few different forums (including this one), and on Facebook, and the behavior is consistent, and not site-specific.

I’ve tried this on other applications that I regularly use, and no other application shows this behavior; only Brave.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Varies depending on which key sequence you use, but it usually involves leaving the page you were trying to type into.

Expected Result:

All valid ALT-NumPad sequences should enter specific characters. Again, for example, ALT-0176 should always enter a degree symbol.

Reproduces how often:
Always

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Version 1.8.96 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Yes

Additional information:

Whatever the latest version is of Windows 10, as of today, 17 May 2020. I know I just got a system update a day or two ago, so whatever is current as of then.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.