ALT is as common window management hotkey on *nix, but makes the menu bar visible in Brave (until pressed again)

System Details

Operating System: Arch Linux

Brave: 0.23.73
V8: 6.8.275.24
rev: 50bdb6df42550dd14f5636770ec8585aa26e361b
Muon: 8.0.3
OS Release: 4.17.11-arch1
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: Linux
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 68.0.3440.75

Issue Summary

In Brave, ALT makes the menu bar visible until it is either pressed again or Brave loses focus.
However in Linux, ALT is a common hot key used for manipulating a window in conjunction with the mouse (moving, resizing, etc).

Discovery

• configure Brave to hide the menu bar by default
  • move window using ALT+left-click and drag
  • notice that menu bar becomes visible after window move and ALT is released

Recording

I’ve made a recording of the issue, as instructed, but as a new user I am not allowed to upload it here. So, I’ll attach a link instead.

Suggestion

I would like to suggest that Brave’s behavior be changed so that ALT only makes the menu bar visible while it is pressed. Upon release of the ALT key, the menu bar would return to its hidden state.

I experience similar issues with Brave on Windows 10. Pressing ALT focuses the menu bar File menu, but keeps it focused even after ALT is released. So if I use ALT-d to highlight the address bar, and then type a URL, the menu is still focused when I hit Enter in the address bar. At which point, the highlighted File menu entry runs the default action, which is to create a new tab. Not what I wanted. Of all of the Brave “paper cuts” I’m experiencing, this is the most painful.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.