Allowed notifications disappear

Description of the issue:
Allowed notifications keep disappearing for Proton Mail & Proton Calendar. I set notifications to ALLOW, then after clearing data & quitting each night, they are gone when I reopen.

How can this issue be reproduced?

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.29.77 Chromium: 93.0.4577.63 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information: Mac OS 10.13.6

@loons2protonmail,
I’m not sure I understand – where are these notifications disappearing from? In addition, if you’re clearing site data each night, that same permission may also be getting reset which is why you’re having to set it again.

Hi,
Brave Preferences
Privacy & Security
Site & Shields Settings
Permissions
Notifications
Customized behavior
Allowed to send notifications
Proton Mail & Proton Calendar were added under Allowed

I am clearing BROWSING data.

thanks

@loons2protonmail,
And are you clearing browsing data manually or via the “on exit” function in Settings --> History --> Clear browsing data?

Under Brave tab at top left, “Clear Browsing Data”

@loons2protonmail,
Taking a look at this and seeing if I can reproduce. Does this affect any other sites/notifications, or does it just seem to be Protonmail?

Proton Mail & Calendar, & Brave are the only sites listed. I have notifications set to Allow under Proton.

@loons2protonmail,
Can you please add this site (community.brave.com) to the list of sites that are allowed to show you notifications and test to see if you get one? I’m trying to determine if this is an issue with brave sending you notifications from anywhere or if it’s specific to Proton websites.

community.brave.com was added to the list.
Proton Calendar & Mail are the only sites I get notices from, not sure what else to set up for notices.
System Preferences for Brave notifications is set to ALERT, which means they should stay on the screen until I close them. But Proton Calendar notifications only stay for a couple seconds then disappear.

First – can you confirm whether or not you got a notification from Community after I sent this reply?

Then, to confirm, this is the main issue you’re having – is that correct? That is, the notifications are appearing but are not staying?

Yes, I did, but it was a flash & gone. The main issue is not staying.
My Proton notification settings are disappearing each night when I quit, but I am taking that up with Proton.

Well another wrinkle. When I opened Brave this morning I first checked Notifications. They were gone. Why does clearing browser date remove notifications?

Because you’re most likely clearing Site and Shields Settings on exit, which clears all site-specific content (site) settings. There is currently a bug that it resets the global Brave Shields settings, although it should clear only the site-specific Brave Shields settings.

Thanks for the info. But wish I had been told that 10 messages ago. I stated in my first message that I was clearing browsing data.
This defeats the purpose of clearing data every day. Will this bug be fixed?

There is only a bug when it concerns Brave Shields, the rest works as expected.

Guess it is back to Safari for me.

Do you really need to clear Site and Shields Settings on exit? Unless Safari uses a completely different method to clear site settings, I would say you’re not clearing your site settings over there.

No, I do not want to clear site & shields. But how do I clear JUST history?

I want you to check something before we make your browser clear only history on exit.

1. Open brave://settings/cookies via the address bar.
  2. Make sure Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows is disabled.

Now, after you’ve made sure the aforementioned is configured properly, do the following:

1. Open brave://settings/clearBrowserData via the address bar.
  2. Click on On exit.
  3. Choose what you want to clear on exit.

P.S Update your browser to Version 1.29.79 because the latest update features an extremely important fix.

Which item clears notifications?
I am using the latest browser.