All saved passwords are gone and can't add new ones

Description of the issue:
Started using brave today and found that all my saved passwords have gone and any that are added do not save.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Login to any site, click add saved password. Does not appear in saved password list.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
No saved password in list

Expected result:
Saved password in list.

Reproduces how often:
Every time.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Mac OS
10.14.5 (18F132)

Brave
Version 0.64.77 Chromium: 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

@jimmy5,
Can you check the ~/Library/"Application Support"/BraveSoftware/ directory on your machine and confirm for me that there is a Brave-Browser subfolder located here?

1 Like

Yes that folder is there.

Do you have any data selected to be cleared on exit?
Menu --> History --> Clear browsing data --> On Exit

No, nothing selected to clear on exit.

@jimmy5,
Sorry for the late reply. I did some research and it looks like other users have reported this behavior on Chrome/chromium. Can you confirm the following for me?:

• Do you have any extensions installed at this time? If so, which ones?
  • Do you use Brave Sync – if so, was it enabled when your passwords disappeared? Is it still enabled currently?
  • Same question as above but for Brave Rewards

@Mattches
No worries.

• Yes I have EditThisCookie, Swagger Inspector, JSONView, and Dark Reader extensions.
  • No I dont use Brave Sync
  • Yes I do use Brave Rewards and was enabled at the time.

@Mattches

I am having the same problem as well

• Honey, Cisco Webex
  • Yes Brave Sync is enabled
  • Yes I use Brave Rewards and it was enabled
1 Like

@TechieJesus, @jimmy5,
Can you try to login and save a password while all extensions are disabled?
Additionally, can we all confirm that the option to offer to save passwords is enabled?

@Mattches,

It will allow me to save passwords and the offer to save passwords option is on. It seems that every few months or so Brave does a sort of “soft reset/refresh” and all passwords are erased/removed from the list; however, all of the username fields are remembered for the websites. It is only the password field that is removed, along with none showing up in the list.

I’ve removed all extensions and yes ‘offer to save passwords’ is on. The same result.
I’ve just assumed my profile has corrupted somehow and created a new profile which is saving passwords fine (for now).

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.