After force quit b/c of hang, can no longer use browser (no addr bar or menu)


#1

Hello Brave Team,

I use the browser daily as my workhorse, and appreciate it very much. Thanks for all you do. That said, I had it hang last night after clicking on a hyperlink – the link did not open / new tab did not spawn, and all my open tabs became unresponsive. I couldn’t reload any of them or navigate to a new url with any of them – the whole browser seemed to become unresponsive, although I could still switch between tabs. I tried closing with CMD+Q but it was not working, so eventually I did a Force Quit.

After the Force Quit, I tried to re-open. It opened the application, but now it lacked an address bar, lacked the top menu, and won’t even show a window pane. The app looks like this:

13%20AM

In addition, I can’t do anything with it except close it. Even bookmarks are a total failure.

So, I tried to reboot the Mac – no change. I re-downloaded the .dmg from your site, and copied it into Applications again and restarted – no change.

How can I get the browser back?

  • i. Your Operating System and version (Mac 10.11.x, Windows 7/8/10, Linux distribution, iOS 9/10, Android)

Mac 10.12.16

  • ii. Your Brave Version. (Desktop users please copy info from about:brave using the clipboard if possible)

Can’t open the About Brave, but i just tried installing the latest

  • D. Detailed step-by-step instructions of how you came across the issue.

See above


#2

Hi @zenocon

Could you try something for me?

Close Brave if open.
Open a terminal.
Copy/paste this into the terminal and hit enter: /Applications/Brave.app/Contents/MacOS/Brave

Brave should open and you will see some information in the terminal. Could you message me the information that displays in the terminal? I’m wondering if there’s an error we can capture. I can also share with you how to get a clean profile for the time being while we research this (you won’t have your bookmarks, history, etc).

Thanks,
Lauren


#3

Hello Lauren,

I resolved it with the help of one of your colleagues on Twitter. Turns out the session-store-1 JSON file had become corrupted. I don’t know how/why it was corrupted, but I backed it up and deleted the current one, and restarted, and it regenerated a new one and I could use the browser again.


#4

Thanks for reporting back @zenocon! Sorry you ran into this issue. Since you’re resolved I’ll close this thread - feel free to open new threads for any other issues or questions.

Best,
Lauren


#5