Admiral blocking Brave AdBlocker

Quick comment on Brave vs. Admiral.

Admiral is used by sites to block you if you don’t lift your AdBlocker. I frequent one site that uses Admiral (post-gazette.com). Never had a problem with it and Brave, though. However, it briefly blocked me this weekend, and now has blocked me pretty solidly today.

Is overriding Admiral an issue for Brave? Has Brave changed something (or has Admiral made a change) that now makes it easier for it to detect Brave’s AdBlocker? I’ve been using Brave on that site for so long that it caught me off guard.

Using Windows 10. Brave Version 0.19.95.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Wanted to add that Admiral blocks access if the Brave ads are turned on as well.

Hi,

Will investigate. In the meantime you could try using “disable scripts” from the lion menu on that site, and see if that will work as a temporary workaround.

Will update here after I get a closer look.

Hi Kelton,

I use Ublock Origon extension and here are the steps on how to install the extension at https://medium.com/@jonathansampson/testing-chrome-extensions-in-brave-8e25d1f7386d

thanks

Sunday 2017/12/03 @ 03:08 PST

@luke.mulks, “The Windows Club website” also uses Admiral, which also blocks the Brave AdBlocker. Your suggestion to “disable scripts” stops Admiral from working.

Brave: 0.19.105
rev: 51f8ba56ca1c1409ddd0620b12650bb7f81c2f79
Muon: 4.5.16
libchromiumcontent: 62.0.3202.94
V8: 6.2.414.42
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
OS Release: 10.0.16299
OS Architecture: x64

I’ve found that disabling scripts on the Post-Gazette site keeps you from seeing the content, so that’s a no go.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.