Address bar making weird suggestions

Description of the issue:
The address bar is making bizarre suggestions that make it more difficult to complete my search.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Setup:
    We are trying to get to reddit.com/r/airplanes. This site is not bookmarked, but is visited frequently enough that it is usually surfaced high up in the suggestions.

2. Type “air” in the address bar

Actual Result:

Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 23.49.07

I have never been to airusersblog.com, which is currently just a parked domain. So that’s weird to start.

But after this happened, I clicked the URL to make sure it wasn’t an accidental old bookmark or something. It was not.

After I visited the site, I was able to delete it from suggestions by clicking on the X on the right side of the suggestion. Unfortunately this only stuck for one interaction with the search bar, which went back to suggesting airusersblog.com.

It looks like the search bar is suggesting (in order): 1) a random url it incorrectly thinks it’s autocompleting; 2) default search engine query; 3) a company whose name includes the query; 4) another company whose name includes the query; 5) the open tab that I am actually looking for; 6) the url i expected it to autocomplete at #1

Expected result:

In order: 5, 6, 2, and literally never 1, 3 or 4

Don’t suggest URLs I have not visited.

Also, removing a url from suggestions should restrict it from being suggested in the future.

Reproduces how often:

Every time

Operating System and Brave Version:

MacOS Ventura 16.3
Brave 1.61.109

Additional Information:

This is definitely new behavior, I have been typing “air” like this for months.

bump. this is still happening.

bump. this is still happening.

bump. still happening. i see other old threads on this which were annoyingly locked without resolution.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.