Ad still blocked on shield down (ecosia)


I Recently Started using ecosia for my default search engine, they use ads to support their service and i want to support them by whitelisting their site and allowing them to show ads, but brave still block the ads even if i turned off the shield

I’ve seen other user posted the same problem here Adding ecosia to the adblocker exceptions but the solution posted there doesn’t work for me

here’s the screenshot, i’ve tried turning off the shield entirely, didn’t work

my other attemp was to try letting the shield up but allowing all the tracker and ads, didn’t work either

i tried to compare it with using google chrome, ads appeared when using google chrome

Brave Version 1.11.104 Chromium: 84.0.4147.105 (Official Build) (64-bit)
operating system Linux Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

Help appreciated please, Thankyou :smile:

Hi @ignica , thanks for reaching out!
Can you try creating a new temporary test profile and seeing if the ads issue persists?
Click on the menu icon in the top right corner > create a new profile.

Hi @Aa-ron

thanks, that did work, I created a second profile, try deactivating the shield for ecosia in the second profile and it did it, ads appeared (only on the second profile, first profile still same problem)

does this mean i now have to use this new second profile instead ?


No @ignica. It’s just a test to see if there’s something wrong with your main profile. Did you tried basic troubleshooting like clearing cache etc?

Can you try disabling all of your extensions? If that solves the problem, the next steps would be to enable each extension one by one, and seeing which one causes the issue.

Also as @eljuno said, also try clearing cache/browser data.

Hi @eljuno and @Aa-ron

I tried what you guys said and I found out that the extentsion causing the problem is windscribe VPN chrome extension, when the extension is present (even not connected), the problem appears

I also tried this with the second profile, tried to install windscribe on the second profile and the problem appears

for me now i am personally ok with disabling windscribe when im not using it and just enabling it when i need to (which is not often), but i can imagine this same problem may cause problem with other people who uses windscribe quite often

anyway thanks for your help guys :smile: