Ad and BAT system acting weird

I’ve used the browser for a bit over a week and both the ad and reward system seem to be acting up.

No pop-up ads have been shown since I installed the browser, but I sometimes see an ad as the window background when I open a new tab. These background ads have varied greatly, but for some reason only the ads for BlockFi are shown in the Ads History tab. Even stranger: none of these ads seem to accumulate BAT, regardless of whether or not they are logged in the Ads History (my estimated pending rewards are 0.00 no matter how many times I open a new tab or see the BlockFi ad).

Similarly, when I play a new video on YouTube it starts with an ~8 sec white screen, which seem to be allocated for ads even though none are shown. I’ve searched around the forum for advice and turned on and off all the notification and ad settings both in the browser and OS.

Is there a solution to this?

My settings are 5 ads/hour, latest version of the browser, location in Finland, OS Windows 10 Home.

Still no solution to this problem.

Not a single pop-up ad has shown up, but the ads shown when I open a new tab have become more numerous and varied. Just a shame that the “Ad History” and “Ads received this month” don’t count a single one of these ads - I essentially see ads without any positive effect whatsoever.

Will this issue be addressed or is the Brave Browser Reward System simply broken beyond repair?

Hi,
except YouTube (I don’t use it on the computer) I have the same problem!
The add counter doesn’t go up even tough I certainly see ads.
I’m not sure if the program doesn’t count it because I got more bat then it said last month; but still, the counter itself doesn’t work.

I am facing the same issue. Even if I see sponsored images in the new tab on my Windows, no BATs are given. Whereas on Mac, I am getting 0.01 BAT once I see the sponsored images in the new tab.

Something is weird with the reward system.

Yeah, both the ad counter and its connection to the reward system seem to be broken.

The tailoring of ads is definitely working, I now see a wide variety of ads that correspond to my interests and they often come with the notification “You’re getting paid to view this background image”. The issue is that that is a lie - even though I continuously see ads and the system is aware of it the estimated payments and actual payments remain at 0.00.

I will continue keeping everyone updated here until the developers either address the issue or delete our conversation to save face (in which case I will simply continue the discussion on other forums).

@WhoSn

Thank you for reporting! Please DM with the following information:

• Copy/paste your Wallet ID (found on brave://rewards-internals)
  • Your OS and Brave version (first three lines in brave://version)
  • A screenshot of your Rewards panel in Settings --> Brave Rewards.

This will help to speed up the troubleshooting. Thank you in advance!

DM sent, hopefully there is a way to fix this issue

@WhoSn Have you checked your Windows 10 settings to make sure the Brave Browser is allowed to push notifications through the notification center? For me I have to go to the following.

• Settings
  • System
  • Select ‘Notifications & actions’ on the left
  • Make sure notifications are on.
  • Make sure that the Brave software is also switched to On under the heading ‘Get notifications from these senders’.

No guarantee that is your problem but its worth a shot.

1 Like

Yup, both the overall notifications and the notifications for Brave (banners and sounds) are turned on.

Dunno why the ad-banners are nowhere to be found, the “new tab”-ads seem to be shown pretty much as intended after enough data has been gathered for personalized ads to be possible

An interesting development: turning off my VPN didn’t affect the issues in any noticeable way, but completely uninstalling its software has forced the “estimated earnings”-counter to start moving.
A handful of banner ads have also been shown but ironically they are all ads for the VPN i literally just uninstalled to get Brave Rewards to work…

Update: both the banner ads and “estimated earnings”-counter stopped working again (after multiple new tab-ads the counter is once again not moving). It seems the uninstalling of the VPN didn’t fix the issue permanently