Acknowledgement of the Auto-Contribute issue on Brave browser

Dear Brave Community,

About a month back, a few of you helped discover an issue that was causing BAT to be contributed via the Auto-Contribute feature despite it being turned off. We fixed that issue back in early November with the V1.0 upgrade, and reimbursed BAT to those who were affected and had reached out to us. If you have not yet received a refund, we ask for your patience as we issue them in the order they were received. If you have upgraded since, you should not be encountering the issue.

The issue mentioned above has turned up on Android, and we are issuing a hotfix (v1.6.1) soon. If you believe you are still seeing contributions being made with Auto-Contribute off, or seeing more contributed than expected, and you have the latest versions of Brave (v1.0 or greater on desktop, and v1.6.1 or greater on Android), please reach out to us at the email below.

We would like to assure the community that anyone who reaches out with a legitimate case of lost BAT will be reimbursed. We will be gifting those impacted with a little extra Christmas BAT, too! :christmas_tree:

If you believe you were impacted by this Auto-Contribute issue, please reach out to refunds@brave.com with the information listed below:

1. Platform (Windows, OSX, Android, iOS, Linux, etc.)

2. Your current browser version

3. Copy and paste the full contents of your brave://rewards-internals page (desktop). Do not share this data with anyone other than Brave support.
    Android: Open chrome://rewards-internals
    iOS: Settings > Brave Rewards > Wallet creation date (copy info)

4. Please provide your ledger_state file. This is an internal file that should not be shared with anyone outside of Brave support. Note that if you use a specific browsing profile for using Rewards, the ledger_state file will be found in that profiles directory, rather than the “default” directory. For example, if you primarily browse/use Rewards under a Profile named “Profile 1”, you’ll find the ledger_state file in Users/username/AppData/Local/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Profile 1/ledger_state.json.

5. Path to file (Windows): Users/username/AppData/Local/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/ledger_state.json

6. Path to file (OSX): Library/Application Support/Brave Software/Brave-Browser/Default/ledger_state.json

7. Path to file (Linux): ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/ledger_state.json

Thank you,

The Brave Rewards team

8 Likes

greetings, I want to send the mail, but when looking for the ledger state file it gives error, can someone explain to me how to look for it?

1 Like

I sent an email to refunds@brave.com the other day, when can I expect a reply?

Thanks!

I received an email saying this has been fixed. However my Brave Bat Balance is still showing exactly as before in minus figure and nothing looks fixed, autocontribute is still on despite me de-activating it.
So when clicking on my brave reward Triangle, it still says this: “Your scheduled monthly payment for Auto-Contribute and monthly tips could not be completed due to insufficient funds. We’ll try again in 30 days” when in fact I never scheduled anything and the autocontribute setting is turned off in settings.
Still need assistance please.
Thank you.

I reported an issue here over a month ago now. I have sent emails to both of the addresses ( support+publishers@basicattentiontoken.org and
refunds@brave.com), and I have not even gotten a confirmation that the email has been received. Has anyone else gotten confirmation emails? I understand the refund may take a while, but I would at least like confirmation that I’m on the list.

2 Likes

@fanLB @starbuck @Beetfarmer we got your emails :slight_smile: Refunds are pending for now. We want to make sure the Auto-Contribute bug is totally fixed before we send out refunds as there’s a risk of the glitch triggering again and draining your wallet a second time right after we refund it!

2 Likes

Thank you! I saw the confirmation of receipt email come through a day or two ago. I’ll wait patiently now :grin:

thank you very uch for your answer , i send email to this adress but for the moment nobody answer me …

I send an email to refunds@brave.com, when will I receive an answer?

Hi, It seems ledger_state cannot be found on my macbook air. please help

how do I know if the emails sent to, refunds@brave.com have been received or reviewed? I submitted my request Jan. 7th. but have received no response, nor any refund yet.

same. I hope they fix this asap. It’s useless to use brave if the BAT that we earn will keep on auto-contributed to them. It’s like working for them you know.

Well said. I like Brave’s concept, but I want to be able use the BAT I earn the way I want to.

I have usually received a confirmation of some sort or a response but then again I haven’t always looked specifically for a confirmation everytime nor had such an important issue or problem with brave to where I would have took the time to double check nor notice…

Hey everyone! Refunds will be processing shortly. We were waiting for the Android fix to go live. We appreciate everyone’s patience here. Refunds will start to issue shortly in the order they were received.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I received an email from support 2 days ago stating issue resolved and refunds have been issued as grants, however I have yet to see any grants or refunds. Will refunds be in the order the request were received, as stated in this thread, or have refunds already been issued?

1 Like

I received an email from support several days ago, saying that refunds problem has been solucionated, but I don’t received anything.